PT School- Do I Belong Here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you enjoy PT school?

• Yes! Learning everything was fascinating and the hands-on stuff was a lot of fun!

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Eh... some of it was kind of interesting. In the end, shool is school.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Nope. You have to learn it though. School is stressful. Once you're a PT grades don't matter.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

AnonymousStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first year student in DPT school a few weeks into the program. I went into PT because I want to help people, it's a solid job market, and you're not chained to a desk all day. The job market is solid.

Science was never really my thing in high school, or college. I got As and Bs mostly, a few Cs but really had to work extremely hard to do so. Science just doesn't come very easily for me and I find a lot of it fairly boring. Now that I'm taking graduate level anatomy and physiology... I find myself daydreaming when I'm trying to study. I have very little ability to focus and it seems like my attention span is really short. I do group studies and plan to fit in some tutoring sessions here and there.

But I'm thinking this could be a problem considering it's not that far into the semester at all and I'm already lacking motivation.

Do any other students feel this way? Is PT school just a drag in general or do some of you actually like it?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, how well do you study in groups? I find that studying in groups to be more distracting than anything else.

If you're just sitting there reviewing information, you're asking for your mind to wander off.

Try standing and using a white board, reciting things aloud. Also, since it's gross anatomy, try reviewing lecture materials within cadaver lab. That way you'll knock out two birds with one stone. This method will also help keep you engaged.

If you found the majority of your science classes in high school and college boring, that kinda sucks as far as being in a science based profession for the rest of your life, but that doesn't mean you can't be a bad PT. For all you know once you start doing real hands-on clinical stuff instead of basic sciences you will fall in love with it.

I find that studying in groups to be more distracting than anything else.

+1

When it comes to study methods that engage more than one of your sense modalities at the same time, such as what Azi described, apply liberally 2-3x/day. When it comes to group studying, apply with caution only as needed. At leas that what has worked best for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The basic courses are a little more dry; it's hard to know what you will apply everything to clinically at first. Plus, anatomy is just so much rote memorization, that is bland and boring no matter how you slice it. I would wait to see how you feel in your first clinical classes; where you apply your basic knowledge to real scenarios to see if you still find it boring.

Thanks for the input all.

@Azimuthal, I don't particularly like studying in groups, but it's been highly recommended that we do so. I do use a whiteboard and recite out loud. I make flash cards. I walk and move around while studying. I'm trying to use multiple methods, but it's still a challenge for me unfortunately.

@knj27, I had to do a little bit of clinical application through case studies and such, especially in undergrad with athletic training classes. Everyone else seems to be two steps ahead of me though. For example, when professors name a deficit and ask what spinal nerve is the cause. Most other students are able to figure it out within 10-20 seconds and it's like I have a mental block trying to go from step A to step B. I feel like I don't have the same diagnostic/clinical mindset and it's a major disadvantage.

@markelmarcel, that's what is probably the best thing for me to do, but what if I get to my first clinical rotation and I don't like it? I will have wasted a lot of time and a TON of money at that point, if I would decide PT isn't for me. :(

@AzimuthalI don't particularly like studying in groups, but it's been highly recommended that we do so. .

Why is it recommended? Who made this recommendation? Some study well in groups but I think they are a waste of time. The only time you might want to consider studying in a group is to see how well you have retained the information. Don't study in a group until you feel you are prepared to take the exam. Study by yourself, find a partner and ask each other questions.

You don't need natural talent to do well in anatomy. All you need is some persistence and dedication. If your mind wanders during class, don't worry. You will learn almost everything while you study.

if you are bored and not passionate maybe you should consider something else. If you don't like science, then you might have trouble critically assessing the treatments you decide to provide for your patients. We are scientists in a way. we have to solve problems. we are also teachers and communicators. do some more shadowing and see if it is really what you want to do. If not, move on and save some money. If it is, find the passion and remember that just about everything you learn in PT school will be valuable at some point in your career. Tough choices ahead.

NewTestament and truthseeker, thank you both for your input!

@NewTestament, most people associated with the program I'm in are very in favor of group studying. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds group studying to be a bit counter-productive at times.

@truthseeker, the general idea of your comment has been the doubt nagging at the back of my mind... All the shadowing I did before starting PT school, it was OKAY. I kept waiting for a lightning bolt to hit me and I would just know that this is what I want to do. Needless to say, that lightning bolt moment never came, and I just sort of went along with my plan of pursuing PT because, well, that was the plan. There was never a moment where I really hated shadowing, but I often found myself looking at the clock.

I'm curious if other people had different experiences shadowing? Did you ever come back from a day of shadowing and realize this is really what you want to do? Maybe because I didn't feel a strong negative vibe from shadowing, I just assumed I liked it... but maybe I don't like it as much as I thought? I'm clueless anymore...

I'm not in school yet, but in terms of shadowing, I didn't necessarily have a lightning bolt moment, but I felt confirmed in my choice to pursue PT. Since then, I have had some shadowing experiences that were less positive, but more of a "I don't want to work in this kind of setting" or "I wouldn't want to do this specialty" kind of thing.

Also, shadowing can be kind of boring, especially if you log a lot of hours in the same place. I don't think being bored during observation hours is necessarily a sign that you shouldn't be in PT school. With that said, did you ever feel like you wanted to be in the place of the PT? I think that shadowing, getting through your initial classes, and then actually practicing as a PT are all very different things.

I also find group study to be counterproductive. Studying with a partner usually works out well for me, but any more than 3 people in the room and it just falls apart.

Reactions: 1 users
I love my job and absolutely hated observing. I am a "need to get my hands dirty" type is person and standing around watching still makes me bored. We have two new students at my clinic right now and it constantly say to them of they are shadowing me - how can I make this less boring for you. I have been there and observing blows but once your doubles and both patients need some type of manual and your running around like a chicken with your head cut off it's way better. But then you'll go from loathing observing to loathing paperwork

I have to agree that in each clinic that I have observed, the first day was super interesting and then the rest of the days were pretty much more of the same...each subsequent day of observing has gotten more and more boring for me until I switched clinics...then lather, rinse and repeat...still it has been a very educational experience, and I think breadth of experience should matter more than depth by a long way...I think 100 hours in 5 different settings is way better for you than 500 hours in 2 settings...

Personally if I was the head of a PT school, my requirement would be something like 40 hours of observation spread between at least 4 PT settings, and above and beyond this won't be considered. I hate that observation hours are a numbers game where everyone is trying to one-up everyone else....I have to work a job and pay the rent, I can't afford to give up 400 hours to stand around and watch a PT...I don't know how people can even stomach that much observing...

Reactions: 1 user
The admissions faculty where I went said that they barely looked at this just that the requirement was met- barely more. Grades and gre are what they really care about everything else is just grasping

Maybe people's GPA would be better if they didn't feel the need to spend 500 hours standing around doing nothing in PT clinics

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that requiring an extensive number of observation hours isn't a good use of students' time. I didn't do a crazy amount... can't believe some schools require 150+ hours!

Okay, not to take my own thread off-topic, but... the thought crossed my mind.

I've heard people say, on here and in "real" life, that observation hours are pretty boring. I've also heard how PT school is in general interesting but very stressful, challenging, and a ton of work. If both observing and school aren't that much fun, what makes any potential PT able to say they "love" or "are passionate about" physical therapy? Maybe I'm just being a bit dense, but it seems like if you really think a profession is for you, there would be some way to tell before actually being a professional in the field.

Okay, not to take my own thread off-topic, but... the thought crossed my mind.

I've heard people say, on here and in "real" life, that observation hours are pretty boring. I've also heard how PT school is in general interesting but very stressful, challenging, and a ton of work. If both observing and school aren't that much fun, what makes any potential PT able to say they "love" or "are passionate about" physical therapy? Maybe I'm just being a bit dense, but it seems like if you really think a profession is for you, there would be some way to tell before actually being a professional in the field.

Watching someone do a job and learning about how to do a job are both not as fun as actually doing the job.

Right, but how do you know you'll enjoy doing the job before actually having the job??

Right, but how do you know you'll enjoy doing the job before actually having the job??

To some extent you don't, but shadowing will definitely help you in that decision making process. It's more of a confirmation thing. It's like anything in life, you have to make the best rational decision you can with the information that is available to you. You need to use your powers of reasoning and a have little bit of revelation.

If PT doesn't work you could try law school or politics because you obviously convinced the admissions committee that you were passionate about PT :). You definitely have social skills. Any advice on how to get into PT school? I'm all ears:)

@Lots of Praying thanks for the laugh!

As far as getting into PT school, obviously keeping your grades up (GPA 3.3+ I would say to be competitive) is important. Have a few extracurricular activities. Leadership positions are always nice to have, but it won't hurt you if you don't lol. Observation hours... unless the schools you're applying to have a specific requirement, I would say don't go crazy. I think 40-80 hours is plenty. At your interviews, just try to relax and look at it as an opportunity to meet some new people. Don't sweat 'em; the ones I had really weren't so bad at all. Everyone else there is probably feeling similarly to you anyway! Smile a lot, answer the questions honestly, and above all- be yourself. Are you applying this application cycle? Good luck! :)

^^^ In addition, don't be afraid to apply to a handful of schools. PTCAS makes it very easy to apply, and while you may experience some shock at how much you're spending just to apply, obviously you up your chances considerably if you apply to 10 schools instead of 2. :)
Also, take a look at how many applications schools receive and what their acceptance rate is. I found www.petersons.com to be a helpful resource as well as CAPTEonline.org. State schools are generally cheaper, but they also tend to receive a ton of applications compared to smaller schools. Although, if you choose to apply to say, nine different schools, I suppose it doesn't matter as much.

@Lots of Praying thanks for the laugh!

As far as getting into PT school, obviously keeping your grades up (GPA 3.3+ I would say to be competitive) is important. Have a few extracurricular activities. Leadership positions are always nice to have, but it won't hurt you if you don't lol. Observation hours... unless the schools you're applying to have a specific requirement, I would say don't go crazy. I think 40-80 hours is plenty. At your interviews, just try to relax and look at it as an opportunity to meet some new people. Don't sweat 'em; the ones I had really weren't so bad at all. Everyone else there is probably feeling similarly to you anyway! Smile a lot, answer the questions honestly, and above all- be yourself. Are you applying this application cycle? Good luck! :)

You're welcome:). Yes I'm applying for this cycle. I applied to ten schools so far. Hopefully, I'll get into one:). I am definitely a "people person" so hopefully that'll help.

^^^ In addition, don't be afraid to apply to a handful of schools. PTCAS makes it very easy to apply, and while you may experience some shock at how much you're spending just to apply, obviously you up your chances considerably if you apply to 10 schools instead of 2. :)
Also, take a look at how many applications schools receive and what their acceptance rate is. I found www.petersons.com to be a helpful resource as well as CAPTEonline.org. State schools are generally cheaper, but they also tend to receive a ton of applications compared to smaller schools. Although, if you choose to apply to say, nine different schools, I suppose it doesn't matter as much.

Thank you for the advice! I'm going to check that site out. I have looked very closely at each program I applied to and really tried to pick the ones that looked like a good fit.

Just a bit of my two cents in regards to the above mentioned observation hours. While I agree that observation hours can be a bit boring and as mentioned above see some of the same things over and over. However, the fun part is when YOU are the PT and YOU get to assess and determine the diagnosis and come up with a POC. How you go about the treatment is completely up to you and there have been many clinics that I completed my internships in where they were dead set on coming up with a protocol themselves and start with a set of interventions to begin with and progress from there. Then there were other clinics where the PT truly was autonomous with their treatment approach and the POC was set according the the impairments found, PMH, and their current level of functioning. So depending on this, it will help determine how advanced or how light you want to start the patient. So while observation hours are kind of boring, the fun stuff is when you have to use your clinical reasoning, special tests, and impairments to come up with a diagnosis and thus determine your POC.