PT School Texas...Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbolg777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to send off applications to 4 PT schools and I am wondering if anyone knows my chances in regards to the ones tougher to get into in Texas.
I am applying to TTU, UT San Antonio, TWU, Texas State.

I have an undergraduate in Business Admin with an overall GPA right now of a 3.1 and a Math / Science GPA of 3.4. Taking my GRE this weekend, but I am nervous about my GPA now.. Any advice on if I should even apply to Texas State or TWU they seem to have very high GPA requirements?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to save your money with applying to TWU and help your chances by instead applying to North Texas

Members don't see this ad :)
You got into Tech do you mind asking what your GPA was?

Well I definitely didn't just suggest that you apply to a school that doesn't have a PT program.

I had a 3.6 in undergrad, got into TWU & Tech & Pacific(in oregon) but not UT Southwestern

Ha yea I had no idea thank you!! Its not on any of the Texas PT School websites so who knew! I will apply there

So is UNT's program accredited? Or is the first class the only accredited class? In other words if I get accepted there and graduate, will I graduate from an accredited (by APTA) school?

From UNT's site

Accreditation Notice

UNTHSC has been granted Candidate for Accreditation status by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association (1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA, 22314; phone: 703-706-3245; email: [email protected]). Candidacy is not an accreditation status nor does it assure eventual accreditation. Candidate for Accreditation is a pre-accreditation status of affiliation with the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education that indicates the program is progressing toward accreditation.

They haven't been accredited yet, which is why it is one of the easier schools to get into. But honestly, I don't imagine them not being accredited. This is also why I suggest UNT as a last option.

I agree with erudite. Given UNT's reputation as a university and the resources they have, I can't imagine them having any less than a top notch school. If I'm not mistaken, they DO NOT require the GRE for admission.

Spoke to them yesterday, they don't even require an application fee, so you have nothing to lose!

Hey,

Does anybody know of any other schools that are in a similar situation to UNT (not accredited yet)? Thanks in advance for the help

Does anybody have any insight on the UTMB program - it looks good on paper, I was accepted there. I have applied to TWU Dallas as well, would love feedback on both programs, just in case I have a choice in where I can go.

Thanks

I talked with a lot of UTMB PT students and they seem to really like the program there (of course they could be biased lol). I shadowed at an outpatient clinic in the summer with a student who just started this semester at UTMB. She didn't get into TWU, so decided to attend UTMB. I shadowed PTs who also had taken in interns from TWU and they seem to know a lot. I also spoke with the mom of one of the students I tutor and she happens to be an OT. She says both programs are excellent and that it was only a matter of preference, really. She did say that she knew some friends (OTs and PTs) from the TWU Houston program, and they knew a greater deal than others.

I dunno. I haven't started yet, so I would not know. I just chose TWU because its close to home and I could mooch off my parents for a while instead of paying for an apt. lol

DPTRVTCCRP:

When did you apply to UTMB? Did you have to interview-I met a girl at my UTSW interview who said she got into there with no interview. I am just wondering because I have an interview in Galveston in a couple of weeks and would like to know your experience, if you want to share. How long did it take to find out you were accepted?

DPTRVTCCRP:

When did you apply to UTMB? Did you have to interview-I met a girl at my UTSW interview who said she got into there with no interview. I am just wondering because I have an interview in Galveston in a couple of weeks and would like to know your experience, if you want to share. How long did it take to find out you were accepted?

good luck! my interview got waived, too. The UTMB student I was talking about said they really want to hear what you've done to prepare for PT school, as in the observations and what you learned. She said it wasn't too bad, the PT was pretty nice and seemed understanding (unlike some horror stories I've seen around here). It took me about a month to find out I was accepted, btw.

again, don't worry. you'll do fine!

DPTRVTCCRP:

I didn't have an interview, I applied over the summer, I think August, for the September 1st deadline and they called me September 30th. I thought I was going to pass out I was so happy that I got in.:woot:

By the way, I did also get into TWU's Dallas program, so I have a very tough decision to make...:smack:

Congratulations!

I still have not heard from UTMB, but they said they would notify us (those that interviewed) by the middle of February, so I'm guessing I'll hear pretty soon. I have been accepted at UTSW. Does anyone have any info on them? I visited and interviewed there and was very impressed!

Has anyone heard anything from University of North Texas. I heard we should be hearing something around this time.

I applied there and haven't heard anything either, which is honestly a little surprising. They told me they would be conducting interviews through mid-Feb., which is this week and next...

Also, is anyone else interviewing at Angelo State or UTEP? Or know anything about those two programs? It's rare to find Texas PTs on here because Texas schools don't participate in PTCAS! Congrats to those of y'all who already have been accepted!