PT Settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTstudent2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently a 2nd year DPT student. I have 1 year left of schooling prior to taking the NPTE and applying for jobs. I was recently diagnosed with a medical condition involving my kidneys in which I may have some limitations as a PT. I have completed 1 clinical rotation, so I know how hectic the outpatient orthopedic setting can become and the amount of physical work that you need to do. Because of my medical condition, I am concerned with having to keep up with the hectic schedule during the work day and the physical aspects of the career. I need to be able to take care of myself before taking care of future patients that I will have, and in order to do so my question is this - what PT setting is the least strenuous to work in?

I obviously do not want to have to change my career choice at this point in my schooling, yet I need to make sure that I can fulfill my dreams in the least strenuous way possible.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and insight. I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I keep in touch with my DPT classmates, and it seems like the folks in peds have it pretty easy. See if you get a clinical in that setting. I am in home health and find it to be (mostly) relaxed. YMMV.