PT Settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DPTstudent2019

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am currently a 2nd year DPT student. I have 1 year left of schooling prior to taking the NPTE and applying for jobs. I was recently diagnosed with a medical condition involving my kidneys in which I may have some limitations as a PT. I have completed 1 clinical rotation, so I know how hectic the outpatient orthopedic setting can become and the amount of physical work that you need to do. Because of my medical condition, I am concerned with having to keep up with the hectic schedule during the work day and the physical aspects of the career. I need to be able to take care of myself before taking care of future patients that I will have, and in order to do so my question is this - what PT setting is the least strenuous to work in?

I obviously do not want to have to change my career choice at this point in my schooling, yet I need to make sure that I can fulfill my dreams in the least strenuous way possible.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and insight. I appreciate it!
 
I keep in touch with my DPT classmates, and it seems like the folks in peds have it pretty easy. See if you get a clinical in that setting. I am in home health and find it to be (mostly) relaxed. YMMV.