pT4N0 larynx - post op radiation volume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How about 30 Gy... 0% Gr3 or greater(!) toxicity rate. Regardless, 56/35 to elective areas is tougher on patients IMHO versus 50/25 (or 40/20), either of which can only be rationally achieved by staging (ie "two-scan planning," or more) the dosing.
Though I’m a SIB fan, this is true. Acute toxicity is going to increase with higher absolute dose. this is the problem with 0529 for Anal when you give 45 / 30 to elective / low risk areas that previously were treated to 30.6/17 fx ... but I love SIB in general. Just finding the magic doses... I like 54/33..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
How about 30 Gy... 0% Gr3 or greater(!) toxicity rate. Regardless, 56/35 to elective areas is tougher on patients IMHO versus 50/25 (or 40/20), either of which can only be rationally achieved by staging (ie "two-scan planning," or more) the dosing.

Why would you say 56/35 is worse than 50/25 on patients? I'll concede that it'll be worse than 44/22 or 40/20 or 30/15, or 0/0

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you say 56/35 is worse than 50/25 on patients? I'll concede that it'll be worse than 44/22 or 40/20 or 30/15, or 0/0
My theory, and experience, based on years and years of doing things many different ways. Plausible? YMMV of course. The Y-axis (pardon the chicken scratch) is all the subjective complaints and objective toxicities lumped together...

hfEY8xw.png

My theory, and experience, based on years and years of doing things many different ways. Plausible? YMMV of course. The Y-axis (pardon the chicken scratch) is all the subjective complaints and objective toxicities lumped together...

hfEY8xw.png

Do we expect 1.6Gy/day to cause the same amplitude of side effects as 2Gy/day? I certainly agree with a longer duration of symptoms. My SIB patients I have not seen anything more than G1 dermatitis in the 56Gy region, can folks say the same for 50/25?

Do we expect 1.6Gy/day to cause the same amplitude of side effects as 2Gy/day?
All things being equal and ignoring time, no we do not. Which I tried to subtly suggest on the graph. BED-10's of 56*(1.16)=65 versus 50*(1.2)=60.

All things being equal and ignoring time, no we do not. Which I tried to subtly suggest on the graph. BED-10's of 56*(1.16)=65 versus 50*(1.2)=60.

Hmm, I guess what I was thinking, is that the highest amplitude at 1.6Gy/day would be clinically less than it was at 2.0Gy/day. BED I would consider more in-line with 'cumulative AUC' of skin reaction.

I am thinking of it similar to the acute rectal toxicity curves seen in prostate RT for conventional fx (may look like 1.6Gy/day) vs moderately hypofx (may look like 2.0Gy/day), where the amplitude is higher with increased fraction size, but for a decreased duration of time due to shorter treatment.

I am thinking of it similar to the acute rectal toxicity curves seen in prostate RT for conventional fx (may look like 1.6Gy/day) vs moderately hypofx (may look like 2.0Gy/day), where the amplitude is higher with increased fraction size, but for a decreased duration of time due to shorter treatment.
This mindset explains the people still giving 17 times 1.5 in seminoma versus 20 in 10 :) It's (supposed to be) a rad bio truism that total dose governs acute toxicity to a much larger degree than fraction size does.