PTCAS Academic Record Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldielift

Reaction score
Hi!

I am seeking some advice regarding the question on PTCAS that asks if my academic record reflects my capabilities. Most threads I have read said that unless there has been a tragedy, such as a death, answer yes. However, I was wondering if my situation would qualify as a no.

My third year of college I was sick; the first semester I lost 30lbs and was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. For three semesters I sought treatment through a partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient program. They required me to drive one and half hours each way per day (three hours total) and spend four to six hours doing therapy. I did that while being enrolled in 12 hours worth of courses. My grades were not atrocious for those three semesters. Nevertheless, the dip in my GPA for that period is obvious. Normally I would have a 3.7 but around those times it was 3.1.

I am not sure if I should include that in the academic record section of the application or if I should leave that information only for my application essays.

Any advice would be appreciated <3 Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I am seeking some advice regarding the question on PTCAS that asks if my academic record reflects my capabilities. Most threads I have read said that unless there has been a tragedy, such as a death, answer yes. However, I was wondering if my situation would qualify as a no.

My third year of college I was sick; the first semester I lost 30lbs and was diagnosed with anorexia nervosa. For three semesters I sought treatment through a partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient program. They required me to drive one and half hours each way per day (three hours total) and spend four to six hours doing therapy. I did that while being enrolled in 12 hours worth of courses. My grades were not atrocious for those three semesters. Nevertheless, the dip in my GPA for that period is obvious. Normally I would have a 3.7 but around those times it was 3.1.

I am not sure if I should include that in the academic record section of the application or if I should leave that information only for my application essays.

I think you should definitely mention that. It's a very valid reason and a significant event in your life, and it seems like it deeply affected your grades.

Hi!

I would definitely put this down on your application. As you stated, it had a large impact on your ability to perform academically during that time and resulted in a drop in your GPA.