PTCAS coursework Question

Started by psu17
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psu17

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I have taken several psych/behavioral science classes - some of which I did better in than others.

I was wondering when I classify them as a prerequisite in the coursework section do you think I should pick the courses that I did better in (so the calculated GPA will be better) or should I pick the courses that are generally recommended (Child, psychopath, developmental?)

I'm assuming the classification is just to calculate the prereq GPA - the programs will see which courses I have anyways - any suggestions?


Thanks!
 
What are the ones you did better in? If they're totally unrelated, then I wouldn't put them. But, if I remember correctly, I chose the ones I did better in if they were at all similar to the recommended ones...

For example, I had a "teach_ed" course in the education department called "health and physical development" and I got an A in it (300 level course). I used that as the developmental psych course, and chose that over childhood and adolescent psych which I got a B+ in. However, I wouldn't use a class like human sexuality, or psychology of advertising or something like that.

If you have a lot to choose from and the courses are similar enough, go for it and boost the prereq GPA if you can 🙂
 
Thanks for the help!

I am going to use childhood psychopathology and personality psych

-the directions do say that you should generally use lower division classes (100-200 levels) but I don't think it will matter


what do you think about me using my exercise physiology grade over my regular physiology? Is that too much of a stretch?
my exercise physiology class was not through the Bio department (it was the kinesiology department) and it doesn't have a lab, but my regular physiology lab was separate anyways so I could still put that down
-I wasn't planning on doing this, it just popped into my head and I figured I'd see what others thought

thanks again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also have a psych research methods class - I know its not as realated to the field but its a 4 credit A...hmm
 
don't use exercise physiology...that would be considered more of a movement sciences course, especially since it's through the kinesiology department and not the biology dept. I think they even mention that in the instructions for filling out your class history section. For that just use human physiology. If you had a separate lab too, you can put it in separately from the regular physiology. I had an anatomy lab at one school that was all just cadaver dissection, so I put that in and selected "anatomy lab", and then I took a class that was just lecture somewhere else and put that for "anatomy".