PTCAS Essay formatting

Started by Lizarde
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lizarde

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read a thread a while back regarding losing indents and paragraph returns of the essays when the application is submitted. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm considering having both indents and also a space between paragraphs to ensure that my essays are legible.
 
I read a thread a while back regarding losing indents and paragraph returns of the essays when the application is submitted. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm considering having both indents and also a space between paragraphs to ensure that my essays are legible.

When i submitted, I called PTCAS to ask them what to do. They said they recommend just doing three hits of the space bar to indent your paragraphs. if you do more, you will lose valuable characters towards your essay.

I sent mine with simply three spaces and no obvious paragraph breaks besides that, and i've already been accepted into a school so i dont think it was a problem at all

hope that helps!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the same thing with spaces, but when I submitted they all disappeared. My essay just looks like one giant paragraph. 🙁 It is still in the original format with spaces online on PTCAS though, any idea which way the school will see it?
 
I ended up doing the 3 spaces indent and no extra lines between paragraphs. When you try to print out the application (looks the same before or after submitting) the spaces, indents, and returns are all gone but I am pretty sure that doesn't reflect what is actually sent - it is just a receipt for your own records.