PTCAS Essay Read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Daniel86155

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having a read of my essay for the 2016 to 2017 prompt on professionalism. I did read the sticky page on this but it did not seem to be updated for 2016. Thank you in advance for your help!
 
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having a read of my essay for the 2016 to 2017 prompt on professionalism. I did read the sticky page on this but it did not seem to be updated for 2016. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hey Daniel --

If you still need help with your essay, I'd be happy to read it! I'm starting on my essay, and I was thinking it would be helpful to see how other people are tackling the prompt.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in having a read of my essay for the 2016 to 2017 prompt on professionalism. I did read the sticky page on this but it did not seem to be updated for 2016. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi Daniel, message me if you need another reader!! I've already finished and submitted my essay, but I'd love to see how other applicants are handling this prompt - it was a tough one!
 
Hey guys, I just finished my essay. Do either of you wanna swap and edit each others or something?

gronkypatty,

I'd be happy to swap and edit with you! I've submitted my professionalism essay but could use some peer review on my essay for TSU, if that's okay too.
 
Would anyone like to swap essays for feedback? Let me know, either through this thread or DM me!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious, and directed to all: what was your approach on this essay? Personally, I chose to mention how professionalism encompasses 4 important characteristics. I gave background info/shared how my experiences (life, school, observation/volunteering/PT aide) led me to believe that these 4 were important, and how I simply plan to continue to embody them during PT school.
 
Would anyone like to read mine? I'm willing to exchange papers for peer review as well. Just send me a DM
 
Just curious, and directed to all: what was your approach on this essay? Personally, I chose to mention how professionalism encompasses 4 important characteristics. I gave background info/shared how my experiences (life, school, observation/volunteering/PT aide) led me to believe that these 4 were important, and how I simply plan to continue to embody them during PT school.

My approach was just like yours! I wrote about 3 major characteristics of professionalism, followed by how I observed or exhibited them through my experiences in school, work, or volunteering (relating them to a career in PT), then concluded by applying it to how I would exemplify professionalism as a PT student.
 
@cqn_htx

No way! Okay, this makes me feel better about my approach. I'm looking over my personal statement and I'm definitely gonna have to shorten it, as I passed the 4500 characters, haha. I have a 5-paragraph essay format. 1 focuses on how I exhibited a particular characteristic, another on how a PT showed a certain characteristic, and a third on how another PT showed one. Do you think I should refocus my essay back to me? I mean, I have examples of how I have showed the same characteristics those PTs have, but in truth, I was inspired to show those characteristics by observing them. At the end of each paragraph I add how I will continue to exemplify those characteristics or how I aspire to be like them in PT school. Not sure about this approach though.
 
@abePT, haha same happened to me! I thought that 4500 characters would be difficult to reach, but I've ended up going over after the first draft of all the essays I've written so far haha.

Mine is also in 5-paragraph format. My intro was less about professionalism and more about my passion for PT. First paragraph is about how I became interested in PT and exhibited a trait of professionalism as a student, the second is on the first PT setting I observed and the respective characteristic, and thirdly about how I showed professional characteristics at work and relating it to PT.

I can't say whether you should refocus more towards yourself or not. I've read other people's essays that focus more on defining professionalism and relating to PT experience, vs those like mine. From your description, your essay seems to have a good balance between describing the characteristics you observed, the ones you also show, and how you will apply them in PT school. This personal statement seems pretty open in terms of how you want to focus your essay, whether it is more on yourself or more about professionalism.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile