ptcas essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiscoguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that this year's question is less of a personal statement and more of a "what is expected of a DPT student" statement? I find it hard to tie in any personal experience with that prompt. Any thoughts/comments are appreciated!

"What is professionalism in the context of being a student in a doctor of physical therapist degree program?"

Members don't see this ad.

I just made a thread about this as well!

I'm confused on how to go about this and tying my 'personal experiences' into answering the prompt. Are you interpreting it as "what's professionalism as a DPT student", or "As a DPT student, what's professionalism in the PT field look like"?

Last edited:

I'm confused on how to go about this and tying my 'personal experiences' into answering the prompt. Are you interpreting it as "what's professionalism as a DPT student", or "As a DPT student, what's professionalism in the PT field look like"?

I'm assuming that it's professionalism as a DPT student given that the prompt states "in the context of being a student"

Members don't see this ad :)

I interpret it as your first interpretation!

I'm not sure how I'm going to answer this...I guess talk about being diligent as a student and playing well with others in the program, etc...doesn't seem as clear-cut as last year's prompt.

Reactions: 1 user
My go to advice is always make the essay personal. Weave in some personal narratives with specific examples about how you have been professional in the past, or how you have gathered an understanding of professionalism with specific experiences. The essay should paint a picture about YOU as a professional....not some general narrative that reads like a dictionary or school website.

Reactions: 4 users