PTCAS processing time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed1978

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hullo!
Curious about everyone's application processing time. I submitted my application three weeks ago (10/3), and it's been crickets since then. I know PTCAS says to allow 4-5 weeks for processing, but I'm also concerned as one of my transcripts was missing (some confusion on my part as to whether a study abroad semester had to have a transcript submitted from the abroad university, since the grades from the semester were recorded on my home school's transcript).
PTCAS says to submit before all transcripts are in, but I'm unclear as to whether it will even begin processing my applications before this last transcript makes it in (it's on its way), and I feel like there's some contradictory info in the FAQ's. Anyone else have a similar experience? Does PTCAS notify you when your applications are sent to your programs, and how long did it take for people, generally?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I'm aware, everything just needs to arrive at PTCAS before the deadline date. The deadline is not a reflection of when everything needs to be processed.

However, if you're talking about submitting your application before documents even arrive at PTCAS, I would say you shouldn't do that unless a deadline is about to pass (I'm not 100% sure on this, though)

Last edited:
You don't need to wait for your transcripts to arrive before you submit, but PTCAS won't mail them out until they have verified the grades you entered against the transcripts. They will email you after they have performed the verification, and they will send them out in the next weekly mailing (which appears to be on Tuesdays from what I can tell). In early September the turnaround time was only 2 - 3 weeks, probably longer now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once your original application is processed you can add schools and they get sent out by the next tuesday. You can check on your mailings (hard copy of everything goes to schools) by logging in and clicking in the status box on designations. Schools can look at your file in PTCAS before they recieve mailings, and are notified that you have designated them even before your file is complete---of course you have to have paid the $$
Make your payment w/o waiting for your transcripts and LORs to get to PTCAS. Good luck.

Submitted 10/4. Verified today 10/28. good luck.

-g