PTCAS - Science Course (What to take this semester) PLEASE HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsflores

Reaction score
I had some questions about the PT admissions process and I needed some advice on what to do.

I am having trouble on figuring out what the best science to take this semester is.

I am currently an Undergrad at Utica College and they are my top choice for graduate school. They have a policy where you cannot get lower than a B- in your science prerequisites. I have gotten B's and A's in everything except for the first Physics class where I got a C.

I have completed most of my prerequisites for Utica College. I took Physics 1 and 2 over the summer and I ended up with a "C" in 151 and an "A" in 152. I understand that if I want admission into Utica's PT program I will need to retake 151 this semester. Although, this is not the Utica standard, other DPT schools might be willing to accept it (however I know my best chance is to retake it).

My other science option to take this semester is the General Biology, which is required by most other DPT schools. I am planning on applying to PT schools in Summer 2019 and I am most likely graduating in December 2019. This means that I can retake Physics for a better grade which will show on my application OR I can take BIO and it will show that I have all my science prerequisites finished (and I would just have to include a section that says I will be retaking Physics the following semester since my grade in the class is low).

I know there is usually a deadline for when all prerequisites must be finished to have admission into the PT program. I'm just not sure what will be smarter to show on then PTCAS? If I chose to wait to take Physics until next fall, will the DPT programs not think highly of my application because of my one C (even if I include a section that I will be retaking it). If I take BIO this semester it will show that most of my prerequisites are finished. OR would it be best to just show the Admissions Teams that I have retaken Physics this semester and have a section that I will be finishing BIO the following semester.

(The Physics courses at Utica are filled up currently, so I am waiting daily for a spot to open up so there is a possibility that I might just be forced to take BIO.)

What do you think would be better for the PTCAS application? Would they like seeing the retake as soon as possible or should I try to finish all my prerequisites and save the retake for last?

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how badly a C will effect your pre-req GPA, if your pre-req gpa will still be on target for the schools you are applying to with the included C then I would included to show greater completion of your pre-reqs. However if it takes you below the average GPA admitted to the school I would leave it out and note it as planned or in progress (most schools allow you to have up to 3 planned courses). Also I would double check on the taking of general biology to satisfy your bio pre-req, most the PT schools I applied to would not accept a general biology course as it was considered lower division work and they required an upper division course.