PTCAS Transcript Verification Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reems112

Reaction score
Hey guys! I hope y'all are having a nice long weekend! PTCAS verified my transcripts and my GPAs are so much lower than what I thought I originally had. Im extremely alarmed/disappointed at this and so confused as to why that is. Are these the final GPAs that schools look at when you apply? Cause my overall GPA which shows up at the bottom of the calculated GPA section is lower than what I originally thought I had. I don't know what to do, I'm very upset. I feel like I will already be rejected when schools see this GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I hope y'all are having a nice long weekend! PTCAS verified my transcripts and my GPAs are so much lower than what I thought I originally had. Im extremely alarmed/disappointed at this and so confused as to why that is. Are these the final GPAs that schools look at when you apply? Cause my overall GPA which shows up at the bottom of the calculated GPA section is lower than what I originally thought I had. I don't know what to do, I'm very upset. I feel like I will already be rejected when schools see this GPA.

Mine were a lot lower than I calculated as well. PTCAS has an interesting system of calculating GPA. Even if you re-took a course, they count that in your GPA, whereas colleges will replace the poor grade with the better one in your GPA score. PTCAS also takes the GPA of any/all colleges that you attended and combines them.

I spoke to an admissions counselor from one specific program regarding selecting prereqs for each course on the PTCAS app. She told me I can select whichever courses I'd like, but the admissions team ends up choosing the prereqs and seeing all of your scores anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Do most schools end up recalculating it? I hope thats the case cause when I saw it, I was close to crying because I freaked out. Yea but even when they combine like undergrad and grad work all those grades that were factored in throughout undergrad still don't help boost it up. Like that's what is so surprising to me. Yea i know a lot of programs that let you select /replace classes with the ones you want which is great but like it still gets factored into the whole cumulative GPA regardless. Ugh....im trying not to lose hope but it's so hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do most schools end up recalculating it? I hope thats the case cause when I saw it, I was close to crying because I freaked out. Yea but even when they combine like undergrad and grad work all those grades that were factored in throughout undergrad still don't help boost it up. Like that's what is so surprising to me. Yea i know a lot of programs that let you select /replace classes with the ones you want which is great but like it still gets factored into the whole cumulative GPA regardless. Ugh....im trying not to lose hope but it's so hard.
I wouldn't lose hope. It just really depends on the school you are applying to and what they are looking at. Even though PTCAS calculates everything, even repeated courses. Some of the schools I applied to specifically say they will take the highest grade which means they do their own calculation.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm not entirely positive what each program does. Is your GPA still above the minimum required from each program?

How long did it take you all for the verification process? I had some issues with a grade change so even though I sent in my application literally 6 min after the PTCAS opened on 7/1, I just got my transcripts sent from my school and received by the CAS. I know people are already starting to hear back and even though I have great stats, I'm worried that now i'm behind the gun because verification is gonna take another 2-3 weeks.

How long did it take you all for the verification process? I had some issues with a grade change so even though I sent in my application literally 6 min after the PTCAS opened on 7/1, I just got my transcripts sent from my school and received by the CAS. I know people are already starting to hear back and even though I have great stats, I'm worried that now i'm behind the gun because verification is gonna take another 2-3 weeks.

My verification process took like 1 day. I wouldn't stress. People are hearing back from schools that are rolling admissions or that classes being in January.

My verification process took like 1 day. I wouldn't stress. People are hearing back from schools that are rolling admissions or that classes being in January.
Thanks so much for the reassurance!! I heard from a couple of friends who applied PA that theirs went quick too. Fingers crossed!!