PTCB certified but no experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackal head

Registered Sex Offender
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would it look if you passed the PTCB exam but have no work experience? I'm an international and am thinking of trying to see if its even possiable for me to get some experience some where, I'm not certified yet but if things don't workout and I'm not able to work, would being certified be a complete waste?

Members don't see this ad.

How would it look if you passed the PTCB exam but have no work experience? I'm an international and am thinking of trying to see if its even possiable for me to get some experience some where, I'm not certified yet but if things don't workout and I'm not able to work, would being certified be a complete waste?

While it won't help as much as having experience, it's definitely not going to hurt your chances either. On PharmCAS it specifcally has a section to put in any/all of your certifications and a seperate section for work experience. So while both are helpful, they are not directly tied to each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would be pretty easy to get a job.

might not be possiable for internationals around here, normally I can't work off campus but I'm looking into a way around that

EDIT: like the sig, being "anonymous"?

EDIT X2: 100TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a certification and no work experience wont help much on your application...the pharmacy schools want to see if you have had a good exposure to the REAL pharmacy world...there are too many people around here who are PTCB certified and has been searching for a job for years...I was one of them too until two months ago i got HIRED...i still cant believe it..i am soo thankful to god for that.

Have you tried applying at ALL your near by pharmacies?....what i did was, i went online to get addresses of my nearby pharmacies (walgreens, cvs, target, walmart, randalls, heb..)...then i walked into the pharmacy and asked the pharmacy manager if they has any opening for a pharm tech position...after a loong search i finally found one...so dont give up hope keep searching you will find an opportunity too!

I agree that being certified looks good in the Pharmcas but you need to have work experience to make the application look better.

I took a 12 week course to prepare for the PTCB in April and only one store offered me a full time job without certification during the summer (around May or June) but I had to turn it down. The store was out east (outside of the city and in the plains) about a 10 minute drive from my house and that is if I took the toll booth highway. They have about 3 major toll booths I had to go before I would be at Safeway. I had to spend about 10 dollars round trip. But it was more than that because they needed a full time tech and I couldn't be full time during school. So, getting a job depends on where you live and how much techs they need and what kind of hours. I would strongly advise you not to turn down offers because now I couldn't find a job closer to my house for 5 months.....

Last edited: