PTCE exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PTCE exam is on 26th May and I have been reading Mosby's book for the past few days. From some of the threads that I read from this forum I understand that the important topics are 1)pharmacy laws; 2)calculations; and 3) brand and generic names of drugs. The third part seems to be very hard because I don't have enough time to memorize all the top 200 prescription drugs and over the counter products. What is your suggestion - is it possible to memorize all the brand and generic names in two weeks? I work full time and evenings is all I have for studying. Any suggestions and tips for studing?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to tell ya, but I had a LOT of brand/generic questions on my PTCE. Do you work in a pharmacy right now? There wasn't much I didn't know brand/genericwise because we dispense the drugs so often. From what I remember, OTC products either weren't on the exam or were minor.

Here is a helpful link for studying top 200 drugs. It's from 2008, but nothing has changed that much: http://www.studystack.com/menu-158469

Good luck on your test!

Unlike above poster I did not have many at all. I only remember having one question, and it was asking what the generic was of a certain OTC allergy med beginning with the letter "C".

Not much emphasis is placed on the top 200 drugs, generics, and their uses for me, so if you know even 1/4 of them, you're way ahead of the game.

My test was mainly calculations, then law, only a few dealt with brand/generic or specific drug info questions.

I do believe calculations are the most important part of the test to know, and the easiest to learn. Law is kind of odd-ball, but can be somewhat intuitive if you just think about the question and are able to eliminate answers.

Brand/Generic are just a freaking memorization that will take time, working in a pharmacy will obviously help immensely with that. Specific drug questions, I probably would not worry too much about, as it could be on anything (i.e. I was asked about how to dispense a SL nitrate).

I can't help with the studying part as I just looked at a small prep book the night before the test :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My test was mainly calculations, then law, only a few dealt with brand/generic or specific drug info questions.

I do believe calculations are the most important part of the test to know, and the easiest to learn. Law is kind of odd-ball, but can be somewhat intuitive if you just think about the question and are able to eliminate answers.

Brand/Generic are just a freaking memorization that will take time, working in a pharmacy will obviously help immensely with that. Specific drug questions, I probably would not worry too much about, as it could be on anything (i.e. I was asked about how to dispense a SL nitrate).

I can't help with the studying part as I just looked at a small prep book the night before the test :)

Same here. I only had about 5-10 questions about drugs, it was mainly calculations. Test was not hard though and u get 120 mins to answer 90 questions. Good luck.

Thanks a lot friends! Your suggestions are very helpful. I'll update you all on my exam result on 26th May.

Just make sure you practice all kind of calculations in the Mosby's book and you will be perfectly fine. Memorize some laws, just some - don't need to be "all".
I took the exam without memorizing any drug's names and still passed.
Good luck, my friend!!

For those who have taken the test that had several drug questions, how are the questions worded? I know it's multiple choice so is it like, "What is the generic name for XXXX?" Then you have four choices? I've been studying for about a month and feeling alternately confident and sick to my stomach.

Thanks for any help.

For those who have taken the test that had several drug questions, how are the questions worded? I know it's multiple choice so is it like, "What is the generic name for XXXX?" Then you have four choices? I've been studying for about a month and feeling alternately confident and sick to my stomach.

Thanks for any help.

Yup, it's pretty much that. Don't kill your self over them! If you haven't worked in a pharmacy before then it simply won't come as easily to you. Your time is better spent on calculations and pharmacy practice/laws.

Your valuable tips and advice helped me a lot! Passed my PTCE exam today!!! I just studied Mosby.

Same here. Passed today. Was stressed during the test with all of the drug questions but came out alright. Thanks for the help!! :)

sup everyone,

I just got out the PTCB and i passed. I only studied for 2 days, and I thought I would share with people wondering about the exam how to study.

The only two resources I used were: Mosby's Review for the PTCE 2nd Edition by James Mizner

and http://www.pharmacy-tech-study.com (really amazing website)

My exam consisted of about 35-50 math questions with simple math including concentrations and things that are outlined in the website I mentioned

know conversions!!

be sure to know all the SIG abbreviations and how to interpret them!

another 15 were about the Popular Laws (OBRA 90 etc.) and DEA, FDA, and what to do with controlled substances

another 10 were about how pharm techs dont have the power to counsel patients, about what a pharm tech should do, and how a pharm tech is ultimately the pharmacists b*tch.

then about 10 questions dealt with drug names...I actually didnt memorize any drug names and only memorized popular suffixes...for the questions I just took educated guesses, and saved myself ALOT of studying

the rest of the questions were just random bits of info you can find on the website or from a quick reading of the book i mentioned

My course of study: Day 1: skimmed over the whole Mosby book, went in depth in the website and read each section...made a review of all important concepts

Day 2: took the 6 practice exams in the Mosby book and wrote down everything I got wrong

Day 3: went over the reviews I made and the important concepts from the 6 practice exams, drove to the exam place, took the PTCE and passed!

Good luck everyone!