PTO : how to count them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GASMAN

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supposed your contract said do 10 shift in a month for X amount of the money and also 6 weeks of PTO. So if you do 10 shifts in a month for a year, total of 120 shifts for the whole year for that X amount. You don’t really get the PTO right, do you? Because you don’t really get the paid time off. Those time outside of your 10 shifts is just your regular non working days, that can’t be count as a PTO.

Anyone see it differently than I do? Does it mean they own you the PTO?

Members don't see this ad.

It likely has the PTO built in.

Our contract is a bit similar, as in we have a set number of hours we have to complete by the end of the year to be considered 1.0 FTE.

Our shifts are broken up into 24 hour calls and 8 hour day shifts, but however you slice it, we owe X number of hours by the end of the year.

Everything else is our time off and while not "paid time off", that's not a bad thing.

We can consolidate our hours in a 2 week span and take a whole month off if we wanted to. I prefer that over a Mond-Friday 7-3 VA/academics style job

Reactions: 1 user
In your example, assuming PTO is the same as it is in other fields and professions, you are correct that no PTO has been used. If you were to use all 6 weeks of your PTO, then you would only work 90 shifts in the year while still making the same X amount. This is why physician contracts rarely use the term PTO and usually have another way to build vacation time into the schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience is only the days you supposed to work count. So if you are M-F guy, then 30 days PTO means 6 weeks