Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pto

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by Dr.D-man, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dr.D-man

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    While browsing through cardiology job postings, I noticed a lot of positions only offer four weeks of vacation time per year. That just seems really low to me; not nearly as much as I will want. Is four weeks really the average vacation time for a group private practice? If so, could you take more time off (unpaid) if you wanted to? Or is that just not going to be possible in cardiology?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Obama

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. -Benjamin Franklin":xf:

4. Dr.D-man

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I believe this quote wholehartedly, but the inward disposition of my mind, and therefore my happiness, will depend on how much I can enjoy my career, as well as my life outside of work.

5. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat
    Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    One of my attendings (who came from a PP background), when asked how she managed to get an academic gig where she only works M-Th and has ALL weekends off (identical to her PP schedule) said "you can have any schedule you want as long as you're willing to ask for it and take a pay cut for it."

Moral of the story...if you want more time off, you can get it. You will be paid accordingly in relation to your colleagues who work more, and if the group/hospital you're looking to join won't play ball, move along, there are lots of other opportunities out there.