Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard much about NHSC. I looked on their website and I'm confused why more people are not involved in this opportunity?

Is it very competitive?

What are the downfalls?

It seems like a good way to give back, gain experience, and not have a huge amount of debt.

What other community health options are there for scholarship/loan payments?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What up teef? I'm personally going to apply for it, but I've HEARD it's competitive; although, I haven't come across any stats or anything.

Honestly, the drawbacks I've found are that it limits your areas of specialty (if you want to specialize). Also, it limits where you might end up living for at least the time you owe them. If you're a city person or country person though, I'm sure you'll find an area that works for you. Salary *might* be a drawback, but there are min salary requirements, of which I found them to be 96k-130k. So, I don't think salary will be an issue.

As far as other community health programs, I know there's an indian health service, if you happen to live near a reservation, that might be an option.

Let me know if you hear of stats or anything on the NHCS scholarship

Does anyone know when the new scholarship application opens up?

What up teef? I'm personally going to apply for it, but I've HEARD it's competitive; although, I haven't come across any stats or anything.

Honestly, the drawbacks I've found are that it limits your areas of specialty (if you want to specialize). Also, it limits where you might end up living for at least the time you owe them. If you're a city person or country person though, I'm sure you'll find an area that works for you. Salary *might* be a drawback, but there are min salary requirements, of which I found them to be 96k-130k. So, I don't think salary will be an issue.

As far as other community health programs, I know there's an indian health service, if you happen to live near a reservation, that might be an option.

Let me know if you hear of stats or anything on the NHCS scholarship

Thank you for all the advice. It was very helpful