Public speaking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Something15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Did you have powerpoint/case presentations and journal clubs at your dental school? If yes, approximately how many?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard to say how many over time but I remember having to do a couple (3-4) presentations each year. These would vary from case reports to biomaterials to special topics.

Journal clubs, not really a thing at my school. Maybe there have been 1-2 clubs during my time but they were low key and never got traction.

Same as above. A handful of presentations a year during DS1 and DS2 that were more related to the classes we are taking (Biomaterials, Evidence Based Dentistry, etc.). DS3 and DS4 year tend to be presentations over complex cases that we treatment planned and treated.

No journal clubs at my school. I think there is an ortho lit review limited to those applying to ortho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only had one so far at UB. I'm now staring my second semester of my second year.

I wouldn't worry about it. I hate doing it but everyone is either sleeping or thinking about sleeping. No one really cares. We all just want to study or do lab work. Everything else (outside of community work) is just wasting time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it but I believe that presenting and doing it well is a very valuable skill. I think you gain a lot from planning and presenting cases to your peers.

Had to do several presentations at UoP a while ago -- not sure what it's like now. Not so much journal clubs, though.

The research club I joined will have presentations. Didactic courses didn't have any so far.