Public University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microdot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a public university program appoint CP director etc. when a vacancy occurs without formally interviewing anyone first (external candidates or better qualified internal candidates)? Can someone be appointed by the chairman without first formally doing a search?

If so how can there not be accusation of political alliances and favoritism?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the university. U of California has a very formal process where the job spot must be nationally advertised, a comittee formed blah blah.

Anyone can be immediately appointed an interim management director at the discretion of the hospital admin tho.

hate to drop this on ya, but favoritism is everywhere. Welcome to the Jungle is all I can add.

Were you gunning for the job or something??

i dunno about the rules of academia, but if someone shows me any job where favortism and politics don't play into things i'd be very surprised. on this i agree with LA - it's a jungle out there.

depends on the university. U of California has a very formal process where the job spot must be nationally advertised, a comittee formed blah blah.

Anyone can be immediately appointed an interim management director at the discretion of the hospital admin tho.

hate to drop this on ya, but favoritism is everywhere. Welcome to the Jungle is all I can add.

Were you gunning for the job or something??

No... definitely not gunning for something. I am also well aware of favoritism and all that stuff in life (sensei). I have seen this happen at a couple programs and I think its unfortunate.

Usually people recruit heavily for a position that will give a place national and international credibility....

That should be the appropriate way to fill a higher tier position. In one of the two cases I am sure it will hurt the program in the long run.