publications during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a very rough time getting published during my intern year in IM. I had 2 good case reports, managed to get both accepted as poster presentations, but, with the exception of the first one (that was published in an abstract format by the conference organizer), the 2nd one has been impossible to publish.

Annals and BMJ Case Reports rejected it. Any ideas as of which journals might publish my article? I would prefer them to be PubMed indexed.

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on the subject matter. Can you elaborate? Where have similar case reports been published? Is it worth the effort to get it published?

Reactions: 1 user
Absolutely worth the effort as I plan to pursue fellowship.

I dont really see how case reports are supposed to help with fellowship placement. Especially if its not even worth those low tier journals.

Just submit to any one of those pay to publish journals and at least you got something to pad CV with.

Reactions: 1 users
That's precisely the point - I need to pad my resume, at least until I get a real research project done.

Any suggestions on pay-to-publish journals? Anyone has any experience with them?

I have had a very rough time getting published during my intern year in IM. I had 2 good case reports, managed to get both accepted as poster presentations, but, with the exception of the first one (that was published in an abstract format by the conference organizer), the 2nd one has been impossible to publish.

Annals and BMJ Case Reports rejected it. Any ideas as of which journals might publish my article? I would prefer them to be PubMed indexed.

Thank you for your help.
Start thinking about what audience you wish to hit. For example, if you had a case of an unusual skin cancer, your venue might be oncology, derm or genetics.
Also, if you're not making the top of the Major Leagues, hit the basement teams. And failing that, start going into AAA ball. If you have to, hit the D leagues (very low single digit impact factors).

Reactions: 1 users
That's precisely the point - I need to pad my resume, at least until I get a real research project done.

Any suggestions on pay-to-publish journals? Anyone has any experience with them?

These are probably best answered by faculty within your program who know the case in more depth.

Reactions: 1 user

No one cares about case reports. Zero impact on fellowship placement.