Publications vs Derm Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angel0205

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!! I am a 4th year DO student. I have been hearing so much about derm and I am interested. One of the things that scares me of this field is the intense intimidation of the competiveness of the field and whether I should do a rotation in Derm someplace.

My first year grades are somewhat medicore but my 3rd and 4th year grades are great. My board scores are average.

I have published over 8 articles where I am mostly a primary author and I am also a primary author of a book chapter in a well known chemistry journal.

I am not sure if my research is enough to carry me through the residency competiveness. I would love to have some feed back and advice on if I should still pursue derm or use my publications for other competive residency programs.

Dont know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you looking for an allopathic derm residency or a DO one? You are more fortunate in that you can broaden your chances and apply to both osteo and allo.

I also hear a STRONG LOR from a derm "don" or heavy hitter is key. Names and connections mean alot since it is a small world. Do you have any of this on your side? It will help you out alot