With regards to "scoring pubs", I read a survey not too long ago that was conducted with faculty of psychology programs. They rated a first-authored paper as giving a lot of weight to an application, as well as co-authored papers.
At the time of my application to 15 PhD programs (all clinical), I had two papers in press (one I had first-authored with an MD as the second author and the other I second-authored). I had another paper submitted as well, and two conference presentations on my CV.
I think this immensely helped my chances: I have received ten interview invitations, and I have already received 3 offers (one from a top-20 school which I have already accepted).
Pubs on your CV demonstrates your interest in research, which is what many PhD programs are looking for. Success in publishing during undergrad depends on who you work for. It's important for you to be working with someone who understands your desires to pursue further education and will give you an honest chance to produce a decent publication. Keep working towards publishing your honor's thesis!!