flanagan10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2004
Status
I am an undergraduate. Does anyone have tips for getting published before applying? I currently work in a research lab, and my professor tells me that if I work hard on my honor's thesis, it might be able to be published.

Anyone have other suggestions, or how they 'score pubs' before entering?

Just thought this would be a good thread!

SaraL124

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
Status
I would say get a job as a research assistant when you graduate for 1-2 years. Make sure the PIs you work for understand your desire to publish something. A good way to do this is to work on a lot of coding or scoring.

That said, I only had one publication whichwas/is "in preparation" at the time that my applications were reviewed.

I have 7 interviews and 1 offer already. I would just make sure you keep in close contact with the professors you apply to work with in grad school.

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Canada
Visit site
Status
Submit poster abstracts to good conferences (not the undergrad honours thesis meeting where there's only other students around). Often these can form the base of a journal submission.
Get on group submissions to journals in your lab if that's an option.

psychgeek

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
Chicago
Status
Psychologist
Frankly, it isn't terribly difficult. Just make sure you have a good topic, solid methods, and review the publication guidelines for your target journal. If your first choice doesn't work out, submit it to your second choice. Publishing is more of a war of attrition than skill.

psychapp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
With regards to "scoring pubs", I read a survey not too long ago that was conducted with faculty of psychology programs. They rated a first-authored paper as giving a lot of weight to an application, as well as co-authored papers.

At the time of my application to 15 PhD programs (all clinical), I had two papers in press (one I had first-authored with an MD as the second author and the other I second-authored). I had another paper submitted as well, and two conference presentations on my CV.

I think this immensely helped my chances: I have received ten interview invitations, and I have already received 3 offers (one from a top-20 school which I have already accepted).

Pubs on your CV demonstrates your interest in research, which is what many PhD programs are looking for. Success in publishing during undergrad depends on who you work for. It's important for you to be working with someone who understands your desires to pursue further education and will give you an honest chance to produce a decent publication. Keep working towards publishing your honor's thesis!!

lazure

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Canada
Visit site
Status
I strongly agree. I had a co-authored paper in child development that was in press at time of my applications (I took a year off) that was likely my single ticket to grad school. Make sure you include copies/reprints of your publications with your applications even if they don't ask for them :)