Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamaicacarioca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an fmg applying for residency in the US, how many publications should I have to make my application competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

As many as you have.

As Buzz Me points out, there's no magic number. And, unless you're lying on ERAS, it's not like you can do anything about those numbers at this point.

Judging from the NRMP Match Statistics (just google it), the number of pubs doesn't seem to matter much for most fields, as both matched and unmatched applicants tend to have the same number of publications.

Based on my experience, there is no minimum or maximum. Generally it's the impact and involvement you had with the research that really matters.

That said, be sure to read over the old abstracts so you know what you are talking about.

I'm US-IMG, hope to be back in USA. In the country I'm in, English isn't too big, but known by people in medical communities. What if I got published in foreign-language journals? Chinese, Japanese....

They're almost all peer-reviewed scholarly journals, just not important on the international scene. It's not like I can ever reach the level of Science, Nature...

What if I'm involved in two med school labs and one biology institute and got published as a minor author (named near the end), but my name appears on some publications, would them serve as credits? Does ERAS even have a place to list them? It's years before I graduate, and I don't know what ERAS looks like.... if anyone can tell me, or show me the fields of the most recent app...I'd appreciate it.

I want to tailor to the best programs I can reach, don't know if i can peek before I apply... I figure it's analogous to CommonApp to the hundreds of U.S. schools... or AMCAS.

Last edited:
I'm US-IMG, hope to be back in USA. In the country I'm in, English isn't too big, but known by people in medical communities. What if I got published in foreign-language journals? Chinese, Japanese....

They're almost all peer-reviewed scholarly journals, just not important on the international scene. It's not like I can ever reach the level of Science, Nature...

What if I'm involved in two med school labs and one biology institute and got published as a minor author (named near the end), but my name appears on some publications, would them serve as credits? Does ERAS even have a place to list them? It's years before I graduate, and I don't know what ERAS looks like.... if anyone can tell me, or show me the fields of the most recent app...I'd appreciate it.

I want to tailor to the best programs I can reach, don't know if i can peek before I apply... I figure it's analogous to CommonApp to the hundreds of U.S. schools... or AMCAS.

You don't need to be a major author in order to list it on your application.

It's fine to list foreign language publications, but you may want to help out your application reviewer understand the significance and/or legitimacy of your work by (a) providing a translated title; and (b) providing additional locator information (eg., a reference number for whatever Chinese database indexes the article, like a PubMed ID Number; or a URL). Even (c) some sort of measure of significance would be useful (eg., is there a equivalent to "impact factor" among Japanese peer-reviewed journals?).

It's fine to list foreign language publications, but you may want to help out your application reviewer understand the significance and/or legitimacy of your work by (a) providing a translated title; and (b) providing additional locator information (eg., a reference number for whatever Chinese database indexes the article, like a PubMed ID Number; or a URL). Even (c) some sort of measure of significance would be useful (eg., is there a equivalent to "impact factor" among Japanese peer-reviewed journals?).

sorry for hijacking, but it's related to the thread. Could help students to publish a lot.

Most of my publications'd be Chinese only. If my name is luckily listed on important ones, well....could be translated to English/Japanese....esp if PIs have good connections and foreign influence.

There're thousands of journals (if including the 5th-tier not-so-legit ones some profs submit to seem like they're well-published). "Publish or perish."

I guess 10 foreign publications can't compare to 1 good U.S. one, but I'm out of American med system, unless I get in residencies... I'm more interested in clinician than...researcher.

Do residencies do detail checking of long lists of publications, esp. obscure foreign ones? Or do they care more to know that applicant has some research skills beyond clinical.

Just now, by some connection, I may have a gig. For one biological institute, I can do a lot of translation work. There's demand to translate English pubs. Count for any?

Last edited:
Do residencies do detail checking of long lists of publications, esp. obscure foreign ones? Or do they care more to know that applicant has some research skills beyond clinical.

I trust applicants at their word and don't double check their publication lists. I probably should (I saw a poster at a national meeting a couple of years ago indicating that a not-insignificant percentage of applicants misrepresent their publications) but there just isn't time at any point in the recruiting process. I think applicants know by now not to list anything they can't converse knowledgeably about during the interview.

I trust applicants at their word and don't double check their publication lists. I probably should (I saw a poster at a national meeting a couple of years ago indicating that a not-insignificant percentage of applicants misrepresent their publications) but there just isn't time at any point in the recruiting process. I think applicants know by now not to list anything they can't converse knowledgeably about during the interview.

I remember reading that somewhere too. I think it was like 1/3 or so of them which is horrifying.