Publishing Case Reports

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thepoopologist

Ph.D in Clinical Meconium
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any value in publishing these? I'd like to write up some of the crazier stuff I've seen. Is it more likely to be published if my attending attaches their name to it?

Members don't see this ad.

I think there's some value - it shows that you're interested in advancing the field, although it's not as valuable as it used to be since the world has become more saturated with case reports.

Any value in publishing these? I'd like to write up some of the crazier stuff I've seen. Is it more likely to be published if my attending attaches their name to it?

There is a lot more value if you can find a way to turn a case report into a column for a more prestigious journal (like AJP's "Education in Psychiatry" or "Treatment in Psychiatry" sections). This requires more effort in terms of literature review, providing a rich context, and really making sure the writing is of a high quality, but the end product could be much more valuable than a straightforward case report in a much lower impact journal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Case reports are increasingly hard to publish. While there are many open access journals that are great, there are many more that will charge you $2,000 to 'publish' your case report and happily accept it. Not a guarantee of quality, but check if the journal is on pubmed or that it has an impact factor. Sometimes you can just send a quick personal email to the journal editor saying you have a case report about X and do they think it may be suitable for their journal. Often you will get a quick and useful reply.

Reactions: 1 user
BMJ Case Reports is relatively "easy" to get published in, and it is pubmed indexed. and I guess you have the BMJ brand attached to it (although obviously nowhere near the impact value of the true BMJ).

Just some food for thought.

I don't think Case reports are as much of value as a research study or even a systematic review/meta-analysis, but any sign of being creative, innovative in the field of psychiatry can't hurt.

Reactions: 1 user