Publishing in a Derm Journal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swampthing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted a dermatology case report to a peer-reviewed Derm Journal 5 months ago. They confirm receiving it, but I have not heard anything from the journal since then. No decisions have been made on editting requests, acceptance, or rejection. They say their reviewers are "carefully reviewing the manuscript". :(

Typically, how long does it take to get an article published in a peer-reviewed Journal??? This is my first attempt at publication and am unfamiliar with the process. I'm interest to know because I'm applying for Derm residency this summer and want to put this as "published" or "in press" in my CV. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

swampthing said:
Typically, how long does it take to get an article published in a peer-reviewed Journal??? I'm interest to know because I'm applying for Derm residency this summer and want to put this as "published" or "in press" in my CV.

Publishing in a peer-reviewed Derm Journal (e.g., JAAD, Archives, Cutis) can take over a year for writing up a manuscript, submission, and hopefully acceptance and publication. It took me 2 years to get published in Archives and 1 year to get published in Cutis and both publications were simple case reports! From my own personal experience, I highly doubt you will be "published" in time for your derm residency application and interviews. :( This is unfortunate because it's really impressive to give your interviewer a beautiful reprint of your paper, especially if you're first author. However, there is a possibility that your article may be accepted and be "in press" by the time you interview :D

Here's a Tip: For faster publication opportunites, check out online dermatology journals like www.dermatologyreview.org and E-medicine. They are peer-reviewed, count as publications, and can be published in 3 months or less. However, they are not as prestigious as JAAD and Archives.

What is more impressive on your CV, a first author case report publication, first author review article publication, or third author basic science research publication? How would you rank them?