PUERTO RICO Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OATAcer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Is it bad to go to Puerto Rico school of Optometry?

Do I need to know Spanish? I know no Spanish at all.

Members don't see this ad.

to answer your 1st question.. "BAD?" no... is it hard to get in? not as hard as the schools in the states. So there is a slight negative connotation of going there in SOME peoples eyes.

to answer your 2nd question.. if you really wanted to go there, you would know the answer to this through a simple search. but yes.. you must know Spanish.

The students at IAUPR aren't allowed to prescribe medicine according to a recruiter at one of the optometry schools. IMO the students who attend IAUPR are moreso being prepared to practice optometry in PR opposed to practicing in the states. However I think it is a good option especially if you're looking for a small class size, lower tuition, and being bilingual

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be just as equally as bad as going to any other school if you can't pass the Boards.

Hi All,

Is it bad to go to Puerto Rico school of Optometry?

Do I need to know Spanish? I know no Spanish at all.

No its not bad..haha..you need to see a recent thread with active students from IAUPR on there so you can see whats going on
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=805769

also, spanish is not required to get in. You will be taught conversational spanish and how to conduct a full eye exam in spanish when you get here.

There are some exciting changes taking place next year with a proposed new curriculum, so next years class will have a leg up against the rest of the school.

Check out that other thread forum and ask questions, so other students can give you their insights.