pulmcc case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
67 dude with hx adenocarcinoma s/p RULectomy last year, chemo, rads, with post surgical R phrenic/recurrent laryngeal injury and resultant R hemidiaphragmatic paralysis, supposedly disease free has now a 7d hx of progressive interstitsal infiltrates bilaterally with old effusion on R post op.

BAL, afb, gimesa, galactomannin, quantiferon, viral, fungal, piss antigen, hiv all neg. only one temp of 100.6. on crap loads of abx including vori for good measure. pao2 80 on 80% hiflo NC, RR 30 for DAYS, paco2 44 for DAYS. dudes been fish mouthin for DAYS. no want da tube.

Anypoops pulm taps the loculated effusion. post lobectomy/pneumonectomy chest cavities are supposed to filled with fluid no? lung has been trapped there for at least a year post op so i wouldnt have bothered tapping especially if the infiltrates were bilateral.

onc doesnt think its lymphangitic spread.

anyways here is fluid from pleura (dude has normal white count): ph 7.5, ldh 6000 (plasma is 680) protein low, glucose <20. 700tnc's with 300rbc's, 50:50 neut and lymph. 1+ wbc on gram. no organism. cytology pending.... the glucose and ldh are the only impressive numbers on there.

Labeled as exhudative parapneumonic, clinda started...,IR consulted for pig tail (that lung will NEVER reexpand), all by our pulm service. I think its a BS diagnosis and a flippen pigtail is only gonna cause trouble. i think dude needs a vats with bx if he's willing to get trached.

Thoughts? I consulted ID to bail us out of the never ending oncology antibiotic spiral.

Members don't see this ad.

Initial staging? I'd guess IIIA/b since given chemo and rads, (was it pre-op to down-stage?)

Interesting thought occurs to me, What does a glucose <20 tell you with an alkalotic pH? Contradictory if you think it's empyema. Unless y'all let the fluid sit for a few days before y'all ran the pH.

When was last rads?
Last chemo?
What type of chemo?
Was he septoid on presentation with leukocytosis/fever?

Onc Are the ever optimists. And damn straight, need tissue. But if they're going to put pigtail, grab 2nd cytology sample

Dude has recurrence....+/- on radiation pneumonitis vs trivial bronchitis.

Will dig up prior ttx details tomorrow if hes still in his body.

Last day of onc rotation tomorrow. no mixed feelings here about it ending.

You lost me with all your pulm lung cancer talk. I have much to learn. There is a big fat accp lung ca update summary sitting in my bag which I am avoiding perusal of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will dig up prior ttx details tomorrow if hes still in his body.

You lost me with all your pulm lung cancer talk. I have much to learn. There is a big fat accp lung ca update summary sitting in my bag which I am avoiding perusal of.

The long and short, you don't get chemo/radiation for curable lung cancers, the guys survival rate was bad if he got chemo/rad for a NSCLCA. That's why with just that short stem, my money is on cancer badness. Radiation pneumonitis happens several months post treatment. Lymphocytic pleural fluid differential is small, but the 50/50 PMNs/lymph is interesting, so I can see why one would consider infection.

Also get old x-rays/ct, look at progression.

If he dies, he needs autopsy for your education. If it was pneumonitis, could have used steroids. If cancer, needed a priest weeks ago, if infection, well, you've done what you could

CarboTaxol with rads and RULectomy.

last rads was a while ago (no time to dig up specifics)

T2 N1 M0

sudden onset. PE neg. Echo neg. No new meds but forgot what he was on. Of note ENT squirted some sort of silicone crap into his larynx recently this year for his paralyzed right vocal cord. Dude finally pooped out and bought the tube. now on mero/vanc/vori/roids. no drain to effusion (was 75:25 neut:lymph, my bad. no cytology back). Will hold off to mid next week to have a tissue sample if he doesnt improve.

Pulling 700 tidal volumes on 10/5 pressure control...thought he would be stiffer. pa02 300 on 100%...Nasty creamy secretions but not copious.

Last day on service tomorrow. Peace.

Saw my first case of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. Fulminant DIC/MODS wbc 90 with 40% blasts. Things didnt go well...

Last edited:
CarboTaxol with rads and RULectomy.

last rads was a while ago (no time to dig up specifics)

T2 N1 M0

sudden onset. PE neg. Echo neg. No new meds but forgot what he was on. Of note ENT squirted some sort of silicone crap into his larynx recently this year for his paralyzed right vocal cord. Dude finally pooped out and bought the tube. now on mero/vanc/vori/roids. no drain to effusion (was 75:25 neut:lymph, my bad. no cytology back). Will hold off to mid next week to have a tissue sample if he doesnt improve.

Pulling 700 tidal volumes on 10/5 pressure control...thought he would be stiffer. pa02 300 on 100%...Nasty creamy secretions but not copious.

Last day on service tomorrow. Peace.

Saw my first case of Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. Fulminant DIC/MODS wbc 90 with 40% blasts. Things didnt go well...

I'm still blaming the taxol.

At least you can bronch him now.