Punctuation error on CV, how bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FML345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I screwed up and am in minor freak out mode after noticing I mistakenly used a comma at the end of a bullet-point describing my research skills instead of a period. I had sent my CV to two doc students and a research professor who didn’t catch it so I’m praying it might be overlooked. On a scale of 1 to screwed, where does this fall? I've submitted this CV to the majority of my schools...

Members don't see this ad.

Same thing happened to me when I applied - punctuation error and a typo. Similar things happened to several other folks in my cohort and the year behind me. Not worth freaking out over at all. I got lots of interviews. It'll be fine, even if they do catch it. Everyone is submitting so much material- cover letters, CVs, essays, etc etc that I would bet a lot-maybe even majority - of people have at least one typo somewhere. It's OK!!

Reactions: 1 user
I screwed up and am in minor freak out mode after noticing I mistakenly used a comma at the end of a bullet-point describing my research skills instead of a period. I had sent my CV to two doc students and a research professor who didn’t catch it so I’m praying it might be overlooked. On a scale of 1 to screwed, where does this fall? I've submitted this CV to the majority of my schools...

You're fine.

Though your grasp on good scale construction needs work. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, that is bad. We generally have a proofreader go through every application and trash anything with a typo in it off the bat. Helps us get down to a manageable number. I guess there is always next year.

Reactions: 7 users
Hallelujah, I'm not going to have a panic attack.

Thank you!!!!!

Take a clean, updated, revised copy with you on interviews, and if you have the opportunity, leave that copy with the interviewers (others may think not), but at least, you'll have an updated copy to present that is fresh. :)

I had misspelled the name of one of my schools on a cv FOR YEARS. Multiple depositions. Multiple testimonies. Who know how many affidavits. It was only discovered 5 years into that misspelling. You know what happened when it was discovered during a deposition? Everyone laughed at me, gave me a little hell, and we moved on.

Throw in the towel. It's all a wash. You might as well give up now. Certainly you are supposed to be perfect and never make a single mistake.

I don't believe in reinforcing reassurance seeking. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry, when I submitted my internship app I put my first and last name in the wrong spots. People either didn't notice at all, chuckled and moved on, or blamed it on the online system. A comma instead of a period is NBD. :)