Purdue vs. mcphs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jso1226

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im a highschool senior right now.
i got into purdue pre-pharmacy and mcphs-boston 6 year program.
im not sure where i really want to go to.

i like purdue because it's where i would be able to explore the college life and other fields as well. and in case i decide to change my major it would be easy to transfer inside of the school. also it's more well known than mcphs.
but it's not guaranteed 6 year program. also i dont like the location of it being in nowhere. (its not that of a big deal tho.)

i like mcphs that its guaranteed 6 year program and its in boston which i love!
however, its so small. it doesnt seem like a college.. i wanna have a college experiences.. and its not as well known.....

i just need a guide to go through the selection of colleges...
i havent visited any of them and i wont be able to visit later on either.
i would appreciate any opinions and advices. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

100% Purdue over mcphs- it seems like you want to be in the type of atmosphere Purdue provides. It has a good reputation whereas mcphs's reputation has been debated many times on this forum. I would go for the sure thing.

Also, I am not sure about the cost comparison for these schools (I know mcphs is rather expensive) but 9 times out of 10, you should go for the cheaper route ;)

Purdue! Explore the wonderful Boiler World especially during bball season :) Oh yea and awesome pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i will choose purdue :)
costs are pretty similar except that i got 8000 scholarship at mcphs..

Purdue doesn't seem to have an "easy mode" 2+4 admission track as other programs do (minimal GPA bull****, etc.). You would still have to apply via PharmCAS as any normal applicant would, and Purdue is a respected program so admission will be competitive. But you are probably aware of that already.

MCPHS: the $8,000 "scholarship" apparently goes to anyone with a pulse. I know someone who had an 1100 SAT (CR and math) who got the tuition deduction.

im concerned with the difficulty of getting into purdue professional program too....

any more opinions ?:)

Definitely Purdue!!
I will be starting in the pharmacy school this fall and applied from the other parent school in indianapolis and I can tell you how much they favor their own students..A LOT.
You will be told what you need to do to get in, you don't even need an outstanding GPA, and no work experience, i had to have them all to even get an interview, lol.
You will be involved in pharmacy school organizations with real people to talk to who were in your position or worse to tell you and help you with EVERYTHING.
It's very cheap too if you consider 6 years. And it's 4th in the country, can't get better than that. :love:
Good Luck!!!

im concerned with the difficulty of getting into purdue professional program too....

any more opinions ?:)
MCPHS is a tight knit community of lil' pharmies.... I'd say if you really want a sure shot of getting into pharm school (as long as you meet their pre set requirements), go there.

But then again, Purdue isn't a school you would just pass up.

Weighing out the options, I'd strongly suggest attending Purdue. It's very well know and no matter what you decide later on in your future what you want to be, you'll have their name and education from there to fall back on. Sure Purdue's program is harder to get into, but being a student from the start and showing them you truly enjoy their school and the rigor it provides will speak miles in your applications versus being from another school and trying to apply in at a later date.

As previous posters have said, Purdue over MCPHS any day. Also, couldn't tell from your posting style if you're a girl or guy, but if you're a girl, Purdue has some cuties on their sports teams ;)...

Definitely Purdue!!
You will be told what you need to do to get in, you don't even need an outstanding GPA, and no work experience, i had to have them all to even get an interview, lol.
Your post is highly inaccurate, Purdue has one of the highest average accepted gpas in the nation at 3.72. Work experience is almost a must or tons of shadowing...

I'll graduate from the PharmD program at Purdue next month. I am a huge fan of the school and I have been very happy here. I did pre-pharm at Purdue as well. Purdue does take alot of their own students, but many of the pre-pharmers were recruited out of high school to come to Purdue, or have parents that are pharmacists, etc. so alot of those pre-pharmers are VERY determined to have a career in pharmacy. There is an occasional person that does not have work experience, but that is definitely not the norm.

Lafayette may not be too huge (I'm from Phoenix, so I understand the issues of going from a big town to a small one) but honestly you can be in Indianapolis in 45 minutes or downtown Chicago in 2 hours or so. There's also plenty to do here, and the local music scene is alive and well, so I wouldn't necessarily discount Lafayette/W Lafayette as a fun area in which to spend your college years.

Anyway, hope this helps. In addition, I know school is not everything when looking for jobs/residency, but I did receive alot of positive feedback about the reputation of my school when I was interviewing for residency positions this spring and I matched to my first choice at a competitive site.

Good luck with whatever path you choose!

Your post is highly inaccurate, Purdue has one of the highest average accepted gpas in the nation at 3.72. Work experience is almost a must or tons of shadowing...

I am sorry but i was not trying to say anything bad about the prepharm students there, i know Purdue is 4th in the nation so it takes in highly qualified students. What I was trying to say was that if you attend Purdue for prepharm years then don't worry too much about the application process because you will be told what they want to see in your application and if you have them then you will get in.
I wanted to go to Purdue for my undergrad but wasn't able to so I did not mean to offend anybody. Thank you for correcting me, i had heard this from others.

Call me crazy, but I would take the guaranteed admission into pharmacy school if you are sure you want to be a pharmacist.

I would visit the places and decide... MCPHS has high quality rotation sites. It is located in the Longwood Medical Area of Boston...right next to Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston Children's Hospital, Dana Farber, and Beth Israel. There are a lot of other colleges in the area.

hi im a highschool senior right now.
i got into purdue pre-pharmacy and mcphs-boston 6 year program.
im not sure where i really want to go to.

i like purdue because it's where i would be able to explore the college life and other fields as well. and in case i decide to change my major it would be easy to transfer inside of the school. also it's more well known than mcphs.
but it's not guaranteed 6 year program. also i dont like the location of it being in nowhere. (its not that of a big deal tho.)

i like mcphs that its guaranteed 6 year program and its in boston which i love!
however, its so small. it doesnt seem like a college.. i wanna have a college experiences.. and its not as well known.....

i just need a guide to go through the selection of colleges...
i havent visited any of them and i wont be able to visit later on either.
i would appreciate any opinions and advices. thank you.

I can see this is a big decision; however it is not a difficult one. I really love the experiences at MCPHS: the caring professors, excellent rotations and environment.

Both are great schools and will provide you with insights toward being a leading pharmacist.
;)

MCPHS
CLASS OF