Pure "Nurse-Run" Clinic Opens at Augusta University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

"The difference in a nurse-run clinic is that the nurses make the decisions instead of deferring to a doctor, said Tranika Brown, who will be the center’s full-time nurse practitioner. The differences to patients could be subtle but very real. The nurse could be more in tune with the patient, and “we’re often more in-depth,” she said. “We don’t just treat you for the one condition.”

Members don't see this ad.

"The difference in a nurse-run clinic is that the nurses make the decisions instead of deferring to a doctor, said Tranika Brown, who will be the center’s full-time nurse practitioner. The differences to patients could be subtle but very real. The nurse could be more in tune with the patient, and “we’re often more in-depth,” she said. “We don’t just treat you for the one condition.”
What a dumb string of nonsense justification

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For instance, many chronic conditions such as diabetes are often accompanied by another, such as heart disease, Brown said.

WOW! Who knew???

Reactions: 4 users
For instance, many chronic conditions such as diabetes are often accompanied by another, such as heart disease, Brown said.

WOW! Who knew???
Only nurses apparently. It's part of that "caring" thing that Doctors don't do.

Reactions: 1 user

Lol...

The only right these nurses should have is the right to remain silent and to an attorney to represent them in court. What a load of babbling nonsense? I bet they’ll be asking physicians advice for those “tough” cases while passing it off as they’re own clinical acumen. Remember web MD and up to date only take you so far.

The only right these nurses should have is the right to remain silent and to an attorney to represent them in court. What a load of babbling nonsense? I bet they’ll be asking physicians advice for those “tough” cases while passing it off as they’re own clinical acumen. Remember web MD and up to date only take you so far.

People who advocate and work in this type of practice this don't ask for help for "tough" cases. They will pretend they know everything or read about it on wikipedia/Medscape and forge on ahead. Cookbook medicine, no thinking needed.

I had a friend who was a very good ICU nurse. Got her "doctorate" in nursing and now calls herself doctor. The stuff she does not know or understand is very concerning. Basically her knowledge was around 3rd or 4th year medical student and she was out in full practice.

I had a friend who was a very good ICU nurse. Got her "doctorate" in nursing and now calls herself doctor. The stuff she does not know or understand is very concerning. Basically her knowledge was around 3rd or 4th year medical student and she was out in full practice.

We had one of these gems in the ICU as well. The best day of my intern year was when she completely screwed up the management of a DKA patient and didn’t tell anyone. Couple hours later she got a tongue lashing from the attending and left a trail of tears on the way out the door. Of course the nursing lobby will provide her with a safe space so that she can once again t back to believing she is equivalent to the residents and attendings who have been doing this for years on end.

Their dangerous fraud needs to end.

We had one of these gems in the ICU as well. The best day of my intern year was when she completely screwed up the management of a DKA patient and didn’t tell anyone. Couple hours later she got a tongue lashing from the attending and left a trail of tears on the way out the door. Of course the nursing lobby will provide her with a safe space so that she can once again t back to believing she is equivalent to the residents and attendings who have been doing this for years on end.

Their dangerous fraud needs to end.
How come a season NP screw up management of a DKA patient when any intern 3 months into residency knows how to manage a DKA?

Was there something atypical about that DKA?

How come a season NP screw up management of a DKA patient when any intern 3 months into residency knows how to manage a DKA?

Was there something atypical about that DKA?

Nothing complex about it man. Just bad medicine being practiced by a bad substitute for a doctor who was a DNP btw. It was one of those cases I was not involved because we had a split teach/nonteach icu. But when **** hit the fan in the non teach service you could bet your car there was going to a fury coming that ultimately led to pts being transferred to teaching. There were always a portion non teach of patients in that unit that were essentially black boxes with NPs playing doctor. Never heard anything about them but NPs were constantly asking us about management. It was a nightmare. The slightest deviation from expectations and WHAM on the teaching service.

how they are taught is distinctly different than how doctors are taught, and not necessarily for better or worse.

as a resident, getting reamed out for not knowing something is standard education. I remember as a resident that if I wasn't reamed out for doing something wrong, it was a great day.

NPs are lauded when they do something right, so their mindset is completely different.

Reactions: 1 users