Purpose of PharmD/PhD

Started by triplerox
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

triplerox

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I've been interested in a dual degree with pharmd/phd but there is something that i need to clarify. With a pharmd, you can work in a community setting dispensing drugs, etc and with phd, you can teach and do research. However, where will you be able to find time to do both??

Thanks
 
What I've been told:

For bench research, it's better to do something else, like BS in pharmacology and then a PhD.

For clinical research you can get away with a PharmD+fellowship.

For retail and whatnot, a PharmD will suffice.

So unless you have a dual degree program, you really shouldn't do PharmD/PhD

EDIT: Oh it is dual degree. Then go for it. Just find out what your PhD will be in. For example I wanted to do a PhD in clinical pharmaceutical sciences. And the college where the dual degree was told me that I couldn't do it because pharmacy there did not give enough of a clinical background.
 
What I've been told:

For bench research, it's better to do something else, like BS in pharmacology and then a PhD.

For clinical research you can get away with a PharmD+fellowship.

For retail and whatnot, a PharmD will suffice.

So unless you have a dual degree program, you really shouldn't do PharmD/PhD

EDIT: Oh it is dual degree. Then go for it. Just find out what your PhD will be in. For example I wanted to do a PhD in clinical pharmaceutical sciences. And the college where the dual degree was told me that I couldn't do it because pharmacy there did not give enough of a clinical background.

To teach, you don't need to have a PhD. It does help, but most of our faculty has just a PharmD with a specialty residency, which is what they usually lecture over.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doing research and teaching is more than a full-time job, but if you really want to do community pharmacy in addition you probably could. You can work part-time in pharmacies. I'm guessing very few people with a PharmD/PhD do both.
 
It depends on what you get the PhD in. If it's pharmacology or pharmaceutics, translational medicine is the place where they are best utilized. Bridging the gap between pharmacological lab results and potential clinical outcomes. It's what I'm thinking I want to get into.

There are also pharmacoeconomics PhDs available, medicinal chemistry....tons of others.