Purpose of PharmD/PhD

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by triplerox, Jun 1, 2008.

1. triplerox

triplerox Junior Member

Hey guys,

I've been interested in a dual degree with pharmd/phd but there is something that i need to clarify. With a pharmd, you can work in a community setting dispensing drugs, etc and with phd, you can teach and do research. However, where will you be able to find time to do both??

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bacillus1

Pharmacist
    What I've been told:

For bench research, it's better to do something else, like BS in pharmacology and then a PhD.

For clinical research you can get away with a PharmD+fellowship.

For retail and whatnot, a PharmD will suffice.

So unless you have a dual degree program, you really shouldn't do PharmD/PhD

EDIT: Oh it is dual degree. Then go for it. Just find out what your PhD will be in. For example I wanted to do a PhD in clinical pharmaceutical sciences. And the college where the dual degree was told me that I couldn't do it because pharmacy there did not give enough of a clinical background.

4. IrishRxMan

Pharmacy Student
    To teach, you don't need to have a PhD. It does help, but most of our faculty has just a PharmD with a specialty residency, which is what they usually lecture over.

5. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    Doing research and teaching is more than a full-time job, but if you really want to do community pharmacy in addition you probably could. You can work part-time in pharmacies. I'm guessing very few people with a PharmD/PhD do both.

6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    It depends on what you get the PhD in. If it's pharmacology or pharmaceutics, translational medicine is the place where they are best utilized. Bridging the gap between pharmacological lab results and potential clinical outcomes. It's what I'm thinking I want to get into.

There are also pharmacoeconomics PhDs available, medicinal chemistry....tons of others.