Pursue a 1-Yr or 2-Yr "Career Changer" Post-Bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tepahtiani

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm going to apply to Career Changer post-bacs and I have heard contrasting arguments for one-year and two-year programs. On the one hand a one-year post-bac will get me to where I want to go faster. And, on the other hand I have a slight chance to accumulate more debt in a two-year program but the two-year programs allow for more upper division classes to be taken.
I'm currently in a research post-bac. So, I can boost my extra-curriculars during my time here (since I know some people begin their extra-curriculars during their career changer post-bacs). I currently don't have shadowing experience, volunteer experience, or clinical experience with ill patients. My work involves "healthy patients" or healthy volunteers. They are called patients because I work at a research hospital.

My Academic Stats:
Community College GPA: 3.54
UC GPA: 3.16
BCM GPA: ~3.0
Cum. GPA: ~3.4

I am wondering how manageable a one-year post-bac is with taking the courses, MCAT prep, and med school apps? I would prefer to do a one-year post-bac.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest the MCAT to be taken before commencing a post-bacc.

Are you taking any courses during the research post-bacc?

I would suggest the MCAT to be taken before commencing a post-bacc.

Are you taking any courses during the research post-bacc?
During, my current post-bac I'm going to take Sociology through a CC online. But, I'm going to take coursework full-time ideally during the "career changer" postbac. Also, I think it would be extremely difficult to take the MCAT before I've even taken the science prereqs for medical school which I will take during the "career changer" post-bac.