Pursuing a pharmacy career!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat5206

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people.. just recently graduated as a business major and after researching and thinking about it for a long time i have finally decided to go back to school at my LOCAL community college and complete to pharmacy school pre reqs and apply to a pharm school. My question to you experienced pharm students and practitioners is.. you think this is a good move for me?

About me: graduated from a university as double major in finance and management, 2.94 gpa. I am now dedicated to be successful and want to help people. willing to learn.. Not to competent in math :(

Your thoughts on my life changing move?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey people.. just recently graduated as a business major and after researching and thinking about it for a long time i have finally decided to go back to school at my LOCAL community college and complete to pharmacy school pre reqs and apply to a pharm school. My question to you experienced pharm students and practitioners is.. you think this is a good move for me?

About me: graduated from a university as double major in finance and management, 2.94 gpa. I am now dedicated to be successful and want to help people. willing to learn.. Not to competent in math :(

Your situation sounds similar to mine. I, too, graduated with an unrelated degree (a few years ago). Have you worked at all in your field? I really suggest you at least give it a try, you never know for sure if it is not for you unless you do. I worked as an engineer for 1.5 yrs to make sure that all those years in school were not a total waste, which they kind of ended up being. :/ So be sure this is what you really want because it is a huge financial and time investment. If you have worked in your field and you have reason for a career change, it can be done. I had a looow undergrad gpa, but like you I had to take most prereqs, so I did them at the local community college which boosted my gpa to a 3.2. I think your unique background definitely will help you in the application/interview process. Plus, schools typically care more about your prereq grades, just make sure this is what you want to do. :)

Well, I went back to school after being out quite awhile, so I'm all in favor of people going back to school if they have a desire to do so. You don't really tell us - is there something in your background that makes you think that you will like the science involved with pharmacy? I think you should be prepared for the prereqs and pharmacy school to be much more difficult than your typical business course. On the bright side, you've probably already done most of the prereqs except the science courses, so you will probably be more able to focus on those classes and labs when you go back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I went back to school after being out quite awhile, so I'm all in favor of people going back to school if they have a desire to do so. You don't really tell us - is there something in your background that makes you think that you will like the science involved with pharmacy? I think you should be prepared for the prereqs and pharmacy school to be much more difficult than your typical business course. On the bright side, you've probably already done most of the prereqs except the science courses, so you will probably be more able to focus on those classes and labs when you go back.

Business classes do get hard when you get into graduate level material but I agree the ungergrad stuff is a cake walk.

To the OP. If you can handle the science I would not worry too much about the math but definitely build your knowledge base. Retake algebra and calculus if need be as refresher. Pharmacy calculations are not advanced calculus, you just have to be quick and know your algebra. Good Luck to you .

Another quick piece of advise would be to read some of the "advice to new student" threads in FAQ section and through a search of the forum. There is a lot of great info.

Remember work your *** off at the beginning of the term and get all the points you can when the tests are not cumulative, it is a lot easier to get As in the beginning compared to the end when the tests are covering a whole term's worth of info, GET THE EASY POINTS!!

If I were you I would consider doing your prereqs at the 4-year level.. at least the math and science ones. It is not much harder but will be a factor for the adcom in knowing if you can handle a high level of sciences. I think this will make a big difference for your application. You should start talking to schools now. I think you will find that most want to see prereqs at the 4-year level. (not to say that CC isnt hard, I thought most of my CC classes were harder than 4-year level. CC just has a much better schedule) Otherwise you are making a good move. I was accepted to accelerated program with about 1/3 CC credits, but all major sciences/math were done at four year level as they advised me to do.