Pursuing Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

East-West

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a D1, two semesters in. I really think I may have a strong interest in the field of OMFS; however I am still trying to keep an open mind. I am just am somewhat worried of the possibly of not matching when the time comes. I know CBSE is a whole thing that I will worry about later on, but for now it's mostly what my class rank will turn out to be. Through these 2 semesters I have done pretty well I think, but a choke on a practical or test here and there has kept me from getting the mid-high 90s in my classes. I just have this feeling that the other people who are gunning are making those high grades and my class rank may be initially established as lower than ideal for matching in the future. Obviously, a new semester starts in a couple months so I plan to buckle down and really get after it, but just worried I may have already somewhat put myself at a disadvantage.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

So what's your question? You do the best you can and see where you end up - sometimes your best isn't enough, that's just how dental school is (it's cruel). That's why anyone who wants to specialize better be ready to be a general dentist if fate doesn't go the way they want.

Even if your grades aren't the top, there might be ways around it. You'd need to slam the exam, you might have to commit to internship years, you might have to rank those 6-year programs no one else wants to attend.

But you're getting ahead of yourself. You're a still a D1. You know what you have to do - give your best. See where you end up in a year from now.

Last edited:
I am a D1, two semesters in. I really think I may have a strong interest in the field of OMFS; however I am still trying to keep an open mind. I am just am somewhat worried of the possibly of not matching when the time comes. I know CBSE is a whole thing that I will worry about later on, but for now it's mostly what my class rank will turn out to be. Through these 2 semesters I have done pretty well I think, but a choke on a practical or test here and there has kept me from getting the mid-high 90s in my classes. I just have this feeling that the other people who are gunning are making those high grades and my class rank may be initially established as lower than ideal for matching in the future. Obviously, a new semester starts in a couple months so I plan to buckle down and really get after it, but just worried I may have already somewhat put myself at a disadvantage.

I agree with the previous post, I know it may be hard but try not to overthink it. Work hard, study hard and keep finding ways to get involved with ECs. D1 year is a tough one not only academically, but trying to find out what you want to do. A lot of people end up changing their minds. Some people that are academic gunners now will likely not care in D2 or D3 year. If you want to go OMS I would say it’s a marathon and the ones that get there work hard and don’t let up. A few Bs won’t keep you if that’s what you want to do.

Do your best in dental school. Don’t kill your self if you get a few Bs. Crush the CBSE. Party hard as much as possible in between.