Push back Application Review to retake DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saahilrtrivedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to a whole bunch of dental schools. I'm finishing up my Supplementals now. I was considering retaking my DAT around December 20th. However, I don't know whether it is worth it to push back the review of my application to that date.

My DAT Scores:
RC: 22
QR: 22
PAT: 21
Bio: 21
Chem: 21
Orgo: 16
TS: 19
AA: 20

As you can see, my biggest concern is Orgo. I think I can maybe bump my orgo up to a 18 or 19.
I had only 1 semester Orgo before my DAT and I didn't too hot.
However, I am taking Orgo I again now and am doing better.

Members don't see this ad.

I think schools will not look down on these scores. Your main problem is that you are very late in applying...what's your gpa?

I would wait to see if you hear from some schools before you decide to retake the DAT. If you haven't heard from any schools by February you might want to retake the DAT for the next cycle. I think your DAT is good though, and as long as your gpa is good, applying early should help you a lot.

Yeah I realize that my other scores are respectable. The Orgo worries me.
My Sci GPA is 3.4
My Overall is 3.6

I'm more worried for schools like NYU. They don't require supplements so they may have already started looking through my application or may be looking through it very soon.
I'm trying to decide whether improving my DAT will help more than waiting an extra 4 weeks will hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition, I don't want to apply again next year because I want to get in this year (that goes without saying).

Will schools look at your application again after you retake your DATs?

Will schools look at your application again after you retake your DATs?

If they know that you are retaking your DAT ...i think call the schools you have applied to and ask them the same questions I have found that most of the schools have really cooperative admission staff they will answer your questions or atleast get someone to answer your concerns if they don't know...I personally feel that taking it in Dec is still too late ...let this cycle take it's course and reapply with new DAT (if you wish) early next cycle...do you have any interview offers?

If they know that you are retaking your DAT ...i think call the schools you have applied to and ask them the same questions I have found that most of the schools have really cooperative admission staff they will answer your questions or atleast get someone to answer your concerns if they don't know...I personally feel that taking it in Dec is still too late ...let this cycle take it's course and reapply with new DAT (if you wish) early next cycle...do you have any interview offers?

I applied last month. I'm still working on the supplements since I got the responses from the schools last week.

then I would definitely call schools to see what they suggest about retaking ....just ask them if it will be too late ..for example I was thinking about adding WU to my list early November but the admission lady told me that although the deadline is Dec 1 it's a little late ..now I could still apply but the chances of getting an interview will be slimmer....so I decided not to add and just be happy with the 11 schools I applied.