Push for Perceptorships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what are your (Attendings and Residents) views about preceptorships. In the light of shortage of recidency positions should we restart that once again?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wondering, what are your (Attendings and Residents) views about preceptorships. In the light of shortage of recidency positions should we restart that once again?

Useless and the wrong solution. Most states require a residency to obtain a license. In addition, without some type of accreditation there is no way to know how legitimate your training was. Many precetorships would be scams for cheap labor.

The profession needs to have a common sense approach. Accepted students equal existing positions. Even podiatrists can do that math LOL.

Useless and the wrong solution. Most states require a residency to obtain a license. In addition, without some type of accreditation there is no way to know how legitimate your training was. Many precetorships would be scams for cheap labor.

The profession needs to have a common sense approach. Accepted students equal existing positions. Even podiatrists can do that math LOL.

Sir, that solution can be implemented for future classes. But what about the students in classes of 2011-2012-2013. What becomes of us if godforbids there are less spots and more students.

In the past if the docs didnt got residency they still could get license to do the basic stuff and atleast survive the year by clipping/chipping nails for the time being till they apply for residency next year. Now if we dont get a residency we are basically screwed:(

Its funny to see at that the profession in its zeal to be comparitive with MDs went towards 3yrs residencies, mandatory PG training for licensures, heck now some even plan to make 2yr residency duration to 36 months while still keeping the same degree.

but....

on the other side we cudnt even take care of these basic fundamental issues:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Sir, that solution can be implemented for future classes. But what about the students in classes of 2011-2012-2013. What becomes of us if godforbids there are less spots and more students.

In the past if the docs didnt got residency they still could get license to do the basic stuff and atleast survive the year by clipping/chipping nails for the time being till they apply for residency next year. Now if we dont get a residency we are basically screwed:(

Its funny to see at that the profession in its zeal to be comparitive with MDs went towards 3yrs residencies, mandatory PG training for licensures, heck now some even plan to make 2yr residency duration to 36 months while still keeping the same degree.

but....

on the other side we cudnt even take care of these basic fundamental issues:(

I actually kind of empathize with the CPME and APMA on this issue because it is a unique one. In the MD/DO world, many students DON'T get exactly what they want (based on grades, board scores, competition). The saving grace is that they can A) scramble (which is an option that we do have), B) choose another specialty, or C) do an internship year and re-apply for the match the next year. In podiatry, we don't have that option for obvious reasons.

Like already stated, a preceptorship is worthless because the majority of states require RESIDENCY training in order to get a license plus I believe this would be a step in the wrong direction. One way to fix this problem is something that I've already stated a couple of times. Find a handful of hospitals that were 1 year programs but closed because they didn't have the numbers for the PM&S model. Open these programs as 1 year podiatry internships (bases on the old rotating podiatry residencies) for students that don't get residencies in the surplus years.

1) They get another year of training and experience that will make them a stronger residency candidate.

2) They get a paycheck

3) As the application pool fluctuates, things should eventually even out

I should probably put this down on paper and submit it to the CPME but I find it hard to believe they already haven't thought of it. If there are any APMA reps reading this, you should at least pitch it to the APMA/CPME liasons at your bi-annual meeting.

I actually kind of empathize with the CPME and APMA on this issue because it is a unique one. In the MD/DO world, many students DON'T get exactly what they want (based on grades, board scores, competition). The saving grace is that they can A) scramble (which is an option that we do have), B) choose another specialty, or C) do an internship year and re-apply for the match the next year. In podiatry, we don't have that option for obvious reasons.

Like already stated, a preceptorship is worthless because the majority of states require RESIDENCY training in order to get a license plus I believe this would be a step in the wrong direction. One way to fix this problem is something that I've already stated a couple of times. Find a handful of hospitals that were 1 year programs but closed because they didn't have the numbers for the PM&S model. Open these programs as 1 year podiatry internships (bases on the old rotating podiatry residencies) for students that don't get residencies in the surplus years.

1) They get another year of training and experience that will make them a stronger residency candidate.

2) They get a paycheck

3) As the application pool fluctuates, things should eventually even out

I should probably put this down on paper and submit it to the CPME but I find it hard to believe they already haven't thought of it. If there are any APMA reps reading this, you should at least pitch it to the APMA/CPME liasons at your bi-annual meeting.

Lol i guess i should not more beat drums on this topic. i finished all my important rotations so iam just relaxed and pretty much have nothing else to do till March. Better find some good JAPMA article and focus my energy there :)

As usual, podfather hit the nail right on the head. Reverting back to preceptorships would be taking a step backwards for our profession at a time when we have finally started to make progress.

As stated, we need to assure all graduates a residency position. It is irresponsible of the schools to accept students when there are not enough post graduate positions, especially when most states now require that training.

When I graduated, there were very few states with that requirement, but that has changed and we must keep up with that change. Regressing to preceptors will result in recent graduates having training of all different quality levels, and many simply working as cheap labor, and there will be no standards to follow. That will set us back 20 years.

Podiatry must have adequate postgrad opportunities for all it's graduates.
That meansthat the person who finishes last in his or her class must get a decent residency. If they can't provide that, they need to lower the number o studets accepted. There should atually be a surplus of residency positions available. If this is not done then Podiatry has gone bck to its past of haves and havenots.

I agree with Tracheadoc,

Podiatrys TWO biggest Shames IMO:

1. Not enough positions for graduates

2. Different training routes for forefoot and rearfoot.

Both of these items are disgusting and should be permanenty dealth with in some way shape or form.

Opening new schools is a joke IMO.

But the old pods simply are not able to get past the old days when there were haves and have nots in podiatry and seemingly want to keep this inequity going on and on to the detriment of the profession.

These type of pods are really just petty and grouchy dinosaurs who simply hid behind their training for too long.

2010: Once again, SHAME on Podiatry again for not taking care of their graduates.

I agree with Tracheadoc,

Podiatrys TWO biggest Shames IMO:

1. Not enough positions for graduates

2. Different training routes for forefoot and rearfoot.

Both of these items are disgusting and should be permanenty dealth with in some way shape or form.

Opening new schools is a joke IMO.

But the old pods simply are not able to get past the old days when there were haves and have nots in podiatry and seemingly want to keep this inequity going on and on to the detriment of the profession.

These type of pods are really just petty and grouchy dinosaurs who simply hid behind their training for too long.

2010: Once again, SHAME on Podiatry again for not taking care of their graduates.

I agree...but rather than being complacent, let's change the system by becoming actively involve with the local residency programs and helping out future graduates.