pushing off internship apps for a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninim

Reaction score
I am considering pushing off internship applications for a year (my cohort is applying this fall) - my reasons are two fold, it's been an incredibly challenging year personally for many reasons; and I also definitely do not feel that I'm as competitive as I'd like to be for what I'm aiming for. I'm not sure if a year would make a huge difference but I could certainly work more on publications as well as adding another externship that may be more specialized, given I'm primarily interested in breaking into a speciality area I don't have enough background in. Or I could shoot my shot and apply to internships (risking to not match) and concurrently apply for externships as a back up. I'm not technically behind at all with my requirements to apply this year, and my pogram is fairly competitive/has a good reputation (students often rank at their top sites), but the more I consider this the more it feels like a good option. Has anyone done this and how did they feel about their decision hindsight?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no right answer here. Do you value just matching anywhere and getting internship done? Apply now. Do you want to slow down, take care of what is going on personally and also accomplish some more specialized training with this externship, publish some more research, and improve your application overall for a better chance at a specific match? Then wait.

I know people who have done both. And everyone ended up just fine.

Internship can be a great year, but it can also be a very hard year. Sometimes it can be a good idea to slow down. But sometimes it can be a good idea to keep your head down and just get through to the other side. Your internship match probably won't define your career.

Reactions: 2 users
If I were in your shoes, I would consider this to be a massive error.

I would shoot my shot, and use backups as necessary. (This also works in dating).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I can only speak from my own experience…but I almost did this. Felt super overwhelmed and just had the thought “ehh I could just linger in grad school and have good times for another year.” My DCT called me late at night and said “well, you could do that, but you also could just tough it out and try.” Ended up getting interviews everywhere I wanted and matching to my top spot. Best decision I ever made probably but I needed a little boost. Just my two cents. Already losing years not making money. Why add more.

Reactions: 3 users
Ok so I can only speak from my own experience…but I almost did this. Felt super overwhelmed and just had the thought “ehh I could just linger in grad school and have good times for another year.” My DCT called me late at night and said “well, you could do that, but you also could just tough it out and try.” Ended up getting interviews everywhere I wanted and matching to my top spot. Best decision I ever made probably but I needed a little boost. Just my two cents. Already losing years not making money. Why add more.
Thanks for sharing - glad it worked out so well :)

I’m in the apply and see what happens camp.

The costs to apply are the combined APPIC application fees, time spent on materials and asking for letters.

Once you apply, you can also withdraw before the rank deadline and try again the following year if you decide another year in school is the best choice, only rank a couple of sites in Phase 1 and see what’s around in Phase 2 (which can sometimes have some really good spots) or not rank anything in Phase 1 depending on how your interviews go and try your luck in Phase 2 (and return to school if you don’t like your options).

All of these routes can potentially work favorably for the applicant and would give you more choice than not applying at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Just apply this year. You might get lucky.

The economic benefits of applying earlier are substantial over the long run, and the personal/professional satisfaction is priceless

Getting an internship done is way more important than quality of internship so long as it meets the minimum bar of APA accreditation. I would not advise postponing to be more competitive.

Getting an internship done is way more important than quality of internship so long as it meets the minimum bar of APA accreditation. I would not advise postponing to be more competitive.
Hm but doesn’t that have a ripple effect on getting good post docs/positions when one completes an internship that meets the lowest bar, especially in a large city that is already competitive?

Based on everyone’s feedback it’s probably wise to apply, hope to get lucky, but plan for the possibility of not matching at all/or pulling out before.

Hm but doesn’t that have a ripple effect on getting good post docs/positions when one completes an internship that meets the lowest bar, especially in a large city that is already competitive?
Not necessarily. As long as it is APA accredited, that's what postdocs/positions value most because there is the baseline standard (hopefully, if following all policies) that all accredited internships offer. In my understanding, an accredited internship is more important than anything because that way future positions can trust/verify the level of training you received.

Reactions: 1 user
No harm in applying now if you are accepting that it may not work out beyond the cost of the application fees (which - in the grand scheme of things - are minimal). This is especially true now that interviews are largely remote. Beyond that, the question is whether you tailor your target sites to your current competitiveness or aim high and expect to reapply.

That said, there are plenty of reasons to wait. I did 7+1 with no regrets. Trained in a lab where longer stays were not uncommon. I shaved at least 1-2 years off post-doc by doing that. I think it matters what path you are on too. I'd never advise someone focused on a clinical career to wait. Someone who wants an academic career....a case could be made. Particularly if you explicitly want to land at an internship site with good local post-doc options.

Reactions: 3 users
As you go forward in your career, you will make your own reputation. Obviously, you want good experiences as that will help, but I’m not sure what you are competing for? As a psychologist, you will begin to forge your own path. We are leaders and innovators in the field. The next two years are going to really shift your perspective from student to independently practicing professional. An example of this is when one of my interns was asking about an ethical question and she said that maybe we would consult an attorney. I chuckled and said that when I have been involved in court cases and asked attorneys similar questions they said, “you’re the expert on that doctor“. Good luck with your internship applications and enjoy the process. 😊

I can understand wanting to attend a well-known/prestigious internship and fellowship; doing so can make a difference in various ways at times. That being said, except in specific situations like Ollie mentioned where waiting a year in grad school makes sense (and may shorten training elsewhere) in the long run, I'd still recommend at least applying and seeing what happens. Ultimately, if you don't like how things are turning out, you can possibly withdraw.

I'll respond with something that goes against what many have said here. I delayed applying to internship by a year, partially for my own mental health, but also so that I could explore more clinical opportunities and really make sure I knew the path I wanted. Do I 'lose'
a year of a full salary? Sure. But now I am positive about what I am truly passionate about and where I will be happy. Fast forward to internship applications, I just matched at my top site today! I know if I had gone through with a more traditional timeline and stuck in the specialization I originally had more experience in, I would have been very miserable. I don't regret it one bit, and was never asked about why I took a little longer during the internship interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll respond with something that goes against what many have said here. I delayed applying to internship by a year, partially for my own mental health, but also so that I could explore more clinical opportunities and really make sure I knew the path I wanted. Do I 'lose'
a year of a full salary? Sure. But now I am positive about what I am truly passionate about and where I will be happy. Fast forward to internship applications, I just matched at my top site today! I know if I had gone through with a more traditional timeline and stuck in the specialization I originally had more experience in, I would have been very miserable. I don't regret it one bit, and was never asked about why I took a little longer during the internship interviews.
After a lot of soul searching in the past weeks and some values exploration, as well as talking to some of my mentors in the field I have actually decided the same. I have also spoken to a few poeple who decided the same and have felt similar as you which gives me hope. Not only do I feel I will benefit from an extra year experience wise, but it very much feels like the right decision for me and my family. Thank you for sharing this!

I can understand wanting to attend a well-known/prestigious internship and fellowship; doing so can make a difference in various ways at times. That being said, except in specific situations like Ollie mentioned where waiting a year in grad school makes sense (and may shorten training elsewhere) in the long run, I'd still recommend at least applying and seeing what happens. Ultimately, if you don't like how things are turning out, you can possibly withdraw.
I spoke to my DCT about that also since I was considering that option and we aren’t allowed to withdraw (burns bridges yadada) which pretty much also helped me make a decision. I’m at peace with my decision of another year, and can now also focus a bit more on my family after an incredibly challenging personal year, do more research while adding a year of more experience and hopefully even finish my dissertation by the time I start internship.

After a lot of soul searching in the past weeks and some values exploration, as well as talking to some of my mentors in the field I have actually decided the same. I have also spoken to a few poeple who decided the same and have felt similar as you which gives me hope. Not only do I feel I will benefit from an extra year experience wise, but it very much feels like the right decision for me and my family. Thank you for sharing this!
I am glad to hear you made a decision that worked best for you! It seems you are content with it too, but feel free to reach out if the catastrophizing wheels start to turn! All the best.