Put on hold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNAroolez

Alpha Helix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was informed via email today that my application at Albany was on hold due to the fact that there are too many "competetive applicants." They also said that once everyone else has been interviewed, they may or may not review me again. It kind of seems to me like this is a nice way to say I am rejected. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Just curious! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to hear some of your wise words, people

Give it more than 20 minutes. People will give you advice.

I am in the same situation as you at GW (on hold, will be re-reviewed in January). I am assuming that I am rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
DNA, Mind posting your approx. stats?

Thanks. Statistically, it seems then, I am in big trouble. :(

I wouldn't say that. I feel like this process can be very arbitrary. If something in your application catches their eye I say you have as good a chance as anyone or better! (plus i took the mcat in august so i was reviewed late. i dont know if that helps) :)

I am in the same situation at Albany, GW, and UCI. I think it means we are on the bubble and I am guessing it means at some unspecified time they will re-review our files for the possibility of an interview. However, I am not expecting much out of it. That way if I do get an interview it will be even nicer.

DNAroolez said:
I wouldn't say that. I feel like this process can be very arbitrary. If something in your application catches their eye I say you have as good a chance as anyone or better! (plus i took the mcat in august so i was reviewed late. i dont know if that helps) :)

I'm an Aug. mcat'er as well, so I guess i'll be reviewed even later. (or maybe the rejection letter is already in the mail).

if it makes you feel any better albany's definitely sending rejections out already, so at least you didnt get one of those. i think my "what do you want to talk about at the interview" thing killed me.
-mota

When did you send out your secondary for Albany Medical College?

My secondary was sent out 8/5. I don't think I was ever notified that it was complete.

Well it doesn't make sense to be either, you applied early in year and have good stats. Did you op for a later interview or chose the earliest available one? Don't get me wrong, but isn't Albany a private school that is not that competitive for applicants with your stats?

- 786, Albany's avg's in 2005 were 30 mcat and 3.5 gpa.

- Albany doesn't notify of status, they have it online.

- mota, care to share what you wrote on the "talking about at interview" question? It can't be much worse than my "I would like to talk about my preparation to take the GED test"

786 said:
Well it doesn't make sense to be either, you applied early in year and have good stats. Did you op for a later interview or chose the earliest available one? Don't get me wrong, but isn't Albany a private school that is not that competitive for applicants with your stats?

I didn't get an interview at all, actually. They put me on hold just after reviewing my file. They will let me know if I get an interview after they interview all the rest of their candidates. I don't know how this whole process works. It seems like one big giant mystery to me!

DNAroolez said:
I didn't get an interview at all, actually. They put me on hold just after reviewing my file. They will let me know if I get an interview after they interview all the rest of their candidates. I don't know how this whole process works. It seems like one big giant mystery to me!

I have the same hold. They havent interviewed anyone in 2 yrs from the hold list.... :thumbdown:

Here's my guess of what is happening. Albany gets a lot of applications. For some it is a safety school, for others it is a good fit with their stats, for some it is a reach.

Would it seem right to skip over an applicant with a 3.7, 38T to give the interview to an applicant with a 3.4, 29P? Now, the school may figure that the 3.7, 38T who is from suburban Baltimore and a legacy at Hopkins and Penn is more likely to choose one of those two (if admitted, and we know what a crap shoot it can be) but with those stats and the fact that he's paid his money and asked to be considered, it is hard to say "no interview". However, that guy may have already interviewed at every med school within 100 miles of home and have one offer in hand so when the invitation arrives from his last choice safety school, the interview offer is going to be declined. Now Albany has interview spots to fill and the 3.5, 31P looks more promising. (Ever hear a guy say that the girls get prettier at closing time?)

LizzyM said:
Here's my guess of what is happening. Albany gets a lot of applications. For some it is a safety school, for others it is a good fit with their stats, for some it is a reach.

Would it seem right to skip over an applicant with a 3.7, 38T to give the interview to an applicant with a 3.4, 29P? Now, the school may figure that the 3.7, 38T who is from suburban Baltimore and a legacy at Hopkins and Penn is more likely to choose one of those two (if admitted, and we know what a crap shoot it can be) but with those stats and the fact that he's paid his money and asked to be considered, it is hard to say "no interview". However, that guy may have already interviewed at every med school within 100 miles of home and have one offer in hand so when the invitation arrives from his last choice safety school, the interview offer is going to be declined. Now Albany has interview spots to fill and the 3.5, 31P looks more promising. (Ever hear a guy say that the girls get prettier at closing time?)

Yeah but apparently Albany has got some game because havent been looking around for someone to bring home at closing time for two years. I have a 3.5 31S so hopefully I get prettier to Albany ......

BOBODR said:
Yeah but apparently Albany has got some game because havent been looking around for someone to bring home at closing time for two years. I have a 3.5 31S so hopefully I get prettier to Albany ......

But by "holding" rather than denying, Albany is leaving the option open...

willow18 my "I would like to talk about my preparation to take the GED test"[/QUOTE said:
Wow! And I thought I was one in a million with that one!

hey DNA, just looked over your stats, it's funny.. we're both NJ residents.. your GPA is much better than mine (3.9 vs 3.3) but my MCAT is above yours (32 vs. 34.) i was rejected from drexel (where you were interviewed) but interviewed at albany (where you were, presumably, rejected.) i also just interviewed at RWJ and am waiting to hear from them. we also applied to about half of the same schools.

saw some funny similarities, that's all.