• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

put your real faces and schools on SDN forums

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Verified Expert
Jul 29, 2008
San Diego
  1. Dentist
    to my current and future collegues on the forums:

i urge everyone here to come out from behind their avatars. a core element in our careers and our lives is integrity. so long as there are cyber tough guys on our posts tough talking and slandering other schools, students, faculty, and dentists, there will always be a lack of integrity on our forums. by posting your own picture and reveling your school's identity you stand behind what you say here, proudly and with conviction. for the rest of our lives and careers, our integrity will be sacred, as it is at the core of patient care and responsibilty. let me hear your support or reasoned agruements against the usage of avatars. anything that you post here online you should be able to say in person to anyone, or else you are a coward, and without an ounce of integrity. integrity will go a long way in helping reach your goals and get into dental school and become a successful dentist and successful human being.

Jason Keckley
    Midwestern U

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Mar 10, 2007
    1. Dentist
      to my current and future collegues on the forums:

i urge everyone here to come out from behind their avatars. a core element in our careers and our lives is integrity. so long as there are cyber tough guys on our posts tough talking and slandering other schools, students, faculty, and dentists, there will always be a lack of integrity on our forums. by posting your own picture and reveling your school's identity you stand behind what you say here, proudly and with conviction. for the rest of our lives and careers, our integrity will be sacred, as it is at the core of patient care and responsibilty. let me hear your support or reasoned agruements against the usage of avatars. anything that you post here online you should be able to say in person to anyone, or else you are a coward, and without an ounce of integrity. integrity will go a long way in helping reach your goals and get into dental school and become a successful dentist and successful human being.

Jason Keckley
      Midwestern U

Ok, I admit it. I am George Peppard, AKA John Hannibal Smith.

About the Ads

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Jul 29, 2008
      San Diego
      1. Dentist
        Ok, I admit it. I am George Peppard, AKA John Hannibal Smith.

coward

excellent comment. i will put up my picture when i get back to my house.

Sincerely,
        Barack Obama
        Howard University

coward

Mr. Keckley,

What is that creature next to you?

Kindest Regards,

MVG

I see what you did there. But Obama got that Columbia BA / Harvard JD. You can't SEE HIM lil homey:cool:

off probationary status are we? if you ever said that to me in real life you would be dealt with like you were mike vick"s dog.

wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Apr 13, 2006
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Please refrain from calling people cowards in an instigatory manner. If people want to be anonymous on this site, that is their right. It is your right to encourage people to post their real names, but please instigate a discussion, rather than a fight.

yuppers

10+ Year Member
          Feb 5, 2009
          1. Pre-Dental
            Yeah..... This is a great idea. Do you want my address, SS#, and credit card information with that as well?

Also before you call me a "coward" you should know that there is nothing that I have to hide.

War Eagle

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Feb 13, 2007
            1. Pre-Dental
              You convinced me.

My name is Matt Foley, and I am a motivational speaker. I am 35 years old. I am divorced. And I live in a van down by the river!!!

Last edited:
              About the Ads

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
              Moderator Emeritus
              10+ Year Member
              Verified Expert
              Jul 29, 2008
              San Diego
              1. Dentist
                Everyone here has a right to remain anonymous, and I don't think exercising that right is a significant reflection on a person's character unless they're abusing it. I will say this much though: some admission officers and faculty members at the schools I interviewed at didn't seem to particularly like sdn because of the fact that anyone can say anything with complete impunity. I was told that it isn't the rare panning of schools they didn't care for, but the occasional inaccuracy of contributed information. If you use multiple sources and don't take everything you read here at face value, it's not that big of a deal.

It seems to me like most of the users are respectful so I've never had a problem with the anonymity issue. I trust the moderators to step in when a thread gets nasty or out of control, and I think they do a pretty good job at that without ruining sometimes heated but legitimate arguments and discussions.

of course people have the right to remain anonymous and i don't think the majority of users abuse it but there are those users who do. i call those users out. i have also heard the what you have said from deans and adcoms about SDN and that they dislike the anonymity of it. i disagree that the flaming of schools is rare though. i see it here often in one form or another. i wrote this thread after reading the "80 people on UOP's waitlist" thread and seeing that dentstd was flaming UOP and who he called "the great spokesperson" of the university. if he is talking about who i think he is, then he's so far outta line, it's ridiculous. no way would he ever say that in person to anyone in the dental community. i think people should be accountable in some way for these posts. if his dean saw what he was posting online, he would be embarassed.

even though we have the right to remian hidden behind avatars and what not, i think you should be able to say who you are if someone asks. not that you should be required to, but that you should feel like you haven't embarassed yourself so bad that you would rather hide.

yuppers

10+ Year Member
                Feb 5, 2009
                1. Pre-Dental
                  okokok everyone put down their flame throwers. all im sayin is that if you are afraid to post who you are on here, then that might tell you something about yourself.

Dude... "put down our flame throwers." :confused:You basically tell us to relax and then you attack us with your "might tell something about yourself".
                  You know what it tells me about myself. It tells me that I am not comfortable with putting my identity out there for the everyone to see. That doesnt mean that I have some to be embrassed about.
                  Why do you need to see my face? .... will that really affect your opinion of me or something. Or do you think it would change schools opinion of people on here. I pretty sure that adcoms have enough on their plate instead of looking at sdn.
                  Also thanks for letting me see your face. Now I will know (if I end up in the same school as you) that I should not trust you with anything personal because you clearly have no respect for peoples' privacy.

Oracle DMD

Chuck NOracle DMD
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  10+ Year Member
                  Verified Expert
                  Jul 29, 2008
                  San Diego
                  1. Dentist
                    Dude... "put down our flame throwers." :confused:You basically tell us to relax and then you attack us with your "might tell something about yourself".
                    You know what it tells me about myself. It tells me that I am not comfortable with putting my identity out there for the everyone to see. That doesnt mean that I have some to be embrassed about.
                    Why do you need to see my face? .... will that really affect your opinion of me or something. Or do you think it would change schools opinion of people on here. I pretty sure that adcoms have enough on their plate instead of looking at sdn.
                    Also thanks for letting me see your face. Now I will know (if I end up in the same school as you) that I should not trust you with anything personal because you clearly have no respect for peoples' privacy.

yes. relax. i'm not attacking you. i don't care what you look like so keep your avatar but if you go around flaming (not you in particular unless you do) schools or people you should own up to it and be accountable somehow. if someone calls you out on it, you shouldn't have to hide your name and where you go to school. why is that so personal and private?

i have my real identity on here for that exact reason so you're welcome. there's nothing private about the disrespect of a person or a school. yes, i would change my opinion of someone if i knew who they were and they were disrespecting all kinds of people and schools on SDN. i don't care if adcoms read this or not, because i don't need the protection of anonymity and neither do most people here.

JustBePM

10+ Year Member
                    Dec 7, 2008
                    1. Pre-Dental
                      I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this "Let's make us feel tough" thread. Thanks a lot whatever your name is from which ever school you mentioned. See, I forgot already. That's how stupid this is.

dentstd

Fena Gonzales
                      10+ Year Member
                      Oct 14, 2006
                      1. Dental Student
                        of course people have the right to remain anonymous and i don't think the majority of users abuse it but there are those users who do. i call those users out. i have also heard the what you have said from deans and adcoms about SDN and that they dislike the anonymity of it. i disagree that the flaming of schools is rare though. i see it here often in one form or another. i wrote this thread after reading the "80 people on UOP's waitlist" thread and seeing that dentstd was flaming UOP and who he called "the great spokesperson" of the university. if he is talking about who i think he is, then he's so far outta line, it's ridiculous. no way would he ever say that in person to anyone in the dental community. i think people should be accountable in some way for these posts. if his dean saw what he was posting online, he would be embarassed.

even though we have the right to remian hidden behind avatars and what not, i think you should be able to say who you are if someone asks. not that you should be required to, but that you should feel like you haven't embarassed yourself so bad that you would rather hide.

I've hung out with UoP and UCSF students a couple months back, and you really have to hear what UoP said to UCSF's faces. I think she was a second or third year, but the level of snottiness was insane. She acted like a queen talking to peasants. I was clear she thought she was high and mighty because she went to UoP and thought she was better clinically than students at that "research school."

You may stand for accountability, but I try to achieve something else. I'd like to see people think for themselves, preferably using good logic. That's the overall theme in my posts.

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        10+ Year Member
                        Apr 13, 2006
                        1. Non-Student
                          I've hung out with UoP and UCSF students a couple months back, and you really have to hear what UoP said to UCSF's faces. I think she was a second or third year, but the level of snottiness was insane. She acted like a queen talking to peasants. I was clear she thought she was high and mighty because she went to UoP and thought she was better clinically than students at that "research school."

What does this anecdote have to do with anything that's been said in this thread? I believe it's true, but I'd remind you no one person stands for any school, and that opinion certainly isn't the general opinion of the school at large.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.