Putting a "mental" dog to sleep. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntly

Sarah
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accidently found the Student Doctor Network while searching for a solution for a troubled dog. It just so happens that I am a Pre-Med student in Southern Indiana, so I created an account. I'm not sure if I can post a problem like this, but I need advice ASAP. My parents have a dog Huntly. Huntly is about 5 years old, very healthy, and the smartest dog I have ever encountered. However, he is hyperactive, dominant, and has what my mom calls "mental issues". This is NO JOKE. My mom called the breeder we got him from a few years back and she acted as though she had received many calls about problems with this breed and was frustrated.
We built a fence in our backyard because he repeatedly ran through our electric fence and once bit a little girl. Just to take him to the vet we have to give him 3 sedation pills and a "normal" dog is only supposed to be given 1/2 of one. This still does not control him completely! He has to be put up if anyone comes to the house because he barks and acts like he is going to attack them. However, he has been around many people and acted fine - he is always loving to us. He still barks constantly at people and especially little kids and my parents cannot control him. The neighbors dislike Huntly and seem to always be upset with parents or making comments like "control your dog" which is very very upsetting to them. Both of my parents are genuinely nice people and very caring. They have tried several things and are now going to put him to sleep because he is a liability and giving him away would be irresponsible. Are there other options? His problems go beyond a normal dog with owners that he doesn't see as the pack leader. I know it may not seem from this post that that is the underlying issue, but it is honestly more than that. I am extremely upset about this and do not agree on putting him to sleep. We as a family are big dog lovers and are all upset about this. But my feelings go beyond, I would not agree with this decision even if it was not my dog.

Members don't see this ad.

While it's been debated somewhat recently, this forum isn't for medical or behavioral advice. You need to consult a licensed veterinarian and ideally a veterinary behaviorist as well will be able to meet your animal, take a complete history, do a full physical, and observe the animal in person. That's all we're able to say. The mods should be along to close this thread soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.