Putting Down Multiple Deposits at Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone started a thread over in the pre-dent forum, and this was brought up in the discussion. I just wanted to get some feedback from some current dent students.

Is there a policy against putting down the initial deposit (by the Jan 15 deadline) at multiple schools? Can schools revoke your acceptance if they find out you've done this?

I've been pulling out hairs trying to decide which school to go to, and I'm still SO undecided at this point! I'm planning to revisit my top (3) choices, but I won't be able to get to all of them before the Jan 15 deadline.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to pre-dental.

And yes I believe there is a new policy that schools will know which schools you have deposits for after a certain date (May I think?). What schools will do with that information will be up to the. Check on AADSAS's website for specifics.

Someone started a thread over in the pre-dent forum, and this was brought up in the discussion. I just wanted to get some feedback from some current dent students.

Is there a policy against putting down the initial deposit (by the Jan 15 deadline) at multiple schools? Can schools revoke your acceptance if they find out you've done this?

I've been pulling out hairs trying to decide which school to go to, and I'm still SO undecided at this point! I'm planning to revisit my top (3) choices, but I won't be able to get to all of them before the Jan 15 deadline.

Thanks guys!

Just pick one school. just go with your gut and leave it at that and have no regrets.. I had post dec.1 interviews at many of your accepted schools and I would like them to have openings come jan. 15th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just pick one school. just go with your gut and leave it at that and have no regrets.. I had post dec.1 interviews at many of your accepted schools and I would like them to have openings come jan. 15th.

A lot easier said than done, chief. I completely empathize with your situation, but believe me, it's not like I've been procrastinating... every single day for the past month, I've been agonizing over this decision even after doing some serious research into these schools.

Like I said above, I've decided that I need to revisit each of these schools, and it's not going to happen before Jan 15. I think I've earned the right to take as much time as I need... I don't know how you approach 6-figure investments, but I'm not the type to just leave it to a "gut" feeling. And it's not like I'm going to deposit at all these schools and then sit on it until May 1st.

If it helps you out, I've decided that I'll definitely be giving up my spot(s) at Columbia and Pittsburgh come Jan 15.

A lot easier said than done, chief. I completely empathize with your situation, but believe me, it's not like I've been procrastinating... every single day for the past month, I've been agonizing over this decision even after doing some serious research into these schools.

Like I said above, I've decided that I need to revisit each of these schools, and it's not going to happen before Jan 15. I think I've earned the right to take as much time as I need... I don't know how you approach 6-figure investments, but I'm not the type to just leave it to a "gut" feeling. And it's not like I'm going to deposit at all these schools and then sit on it until May 1st.

If it helps you out, I've decided that I'll definitely be giving up my spot(s) at Columbia and Pittsburgh come Jan 15.

Even though I am waiting for spots... If I were in your shoes and I was truly confused and needed more time ... I'd take the take by putting down my deposit. It's the next 4 years of your life... you don't wnat to regret it.

There are so many factors that go into chosing. Of course, once you do decide... don't wait til the last minute to let the school know.... for our sakes.

Good luck in deciding :) I'd pick UNC on Pitt. (even tho I wish I woudl hear back from Pitt :(:( )

GL

I put down multiple deposits when I applied....even the second deposits. Heh.

yeah no harm, just don't screw yourself and withdraw from one school before May 1st

I will be putting down multiple deposits. I am depositing at Stony and Maryland, and if I get accepted to UMDNJ I will deposit there too If I must. I want as much time to make this decision as possible.

I will be putting down multiple deposits. I am depositing at Stony and Maryland, and if I get accepted to UMDNJ I will deposit there too If I must. I want as much time to make this decision as possible.
i thought you were 100% going to stony brook?

if it helps i'll be passing my seat at UMDNJ...tough decision, great school even better faculty

i thought you were 100% going to stony brook?

if it helps i'll be passing my seat at UMDNJ...tough decision, great school even better faculty

I was never 100% anywhere, but I was pretty sure I was going to Stony, however I found out a couple of things and I also just found out that Maryland is cheaper than Stony even as an out of state applicant. A couple more factors and now i am like 50/50 with UMDNJ (im waitlisted) just as strong a possibility. So basically now I am back to square one.

I was never 100% anywhere, but I was pretty sure I was going to Stony, however I found out a couple of things and I also just found out that Maryland is cheaper than Stony even as an out of state applicant. A couple more factors and now i am like 50/50 with UMDNJ (im waitlisted) just as strong a possibility. So basically now I am back to square one.

Maryland out of state is cheaper than Stony in state?

Thanks guys!

I do believe that there is a notification system in place for schools once you have made a deposit. When I did my interviews both schools mentioned that they have a vehicle to check on deposits that you have made (how I am unsure unless the school is directly notified) at other schools. One school indicated that the would no longer consider you as accepted (so that they could open your spot up to someone who really wants to go there) if they find out that you have placed a deposit at another school. The other one ddi not hint towards that scenario, however, I am sure that they woul not be to much different.

Just a FYI for any of you who are also thinking about putting down multiple deposits...

I decided to call UNC today (didn't tell them my name or anything), and specifically asked Carolyn if UNC has a policy that prohibits accepted students from putting down deposits at multiple schools, and she said "No... just be aware that the $500 deposit is NON-refundable".
Awesome :D

If you have any doubts, I'd urge you to call up the schools that are still in consideration.