PY1 has option to "place out" of Biochemistry-should I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemkitten

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my pre-orientation email:

"New PharmD students have the option of taking the Biochemistry Challenge Exam to determine whether or not he/she can "place out" of Biochemistry in the fall. Placing out of Biochemistry does not provide credit on the student's transcript, but rather means the student does not have to take fall semester Biochemistry."

My bachelor's is in chemistry and I made a 99% on the chemistry portion of the PCAT and an A in my undergrad biochemistry class. I have also taken numerous biology classes and I feel like this will be just another review class. I still have my undergrad biochem book so I can study for the exam. I see the advantage of not having to worry about tests, classtime, etc. However I will have to take Biochem 2 in the Spring and I was wondering if that is going to put me behind? It is also based on Pharmaceutical Biochemistry, and I'm worried I would be missing key details regarding drug action. If I do test out, I can always glance over the recorded lectures in case I am really desperate.

From the syllabus:
Topics include: Review of key concepts in general and organic chemistry, properties of drugs, amino
acid and protein structure, structure/function relationships in proteins, enzyme function (catalysis),
protein receptor-drug interactions, carbohydrates and their metabolism, electron transport, lipids
and their metabolism, amino acid metabolism, and some regulatory mechanisms. Human disease
states, their biochemical origins, and pharmaceutical treatment are discussed in relation to all of the
above, when appropriate.

Anyone have any insight or experience testing out of PharmD biochem?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! A million times yes! I had a bachelors degree in biochemistry before pharmacy school and could have tested out of some classes, but instead wanted the "full pharmacy school experience." I didn't want to feel like I was missing out on anything. All it really did was add to an already crazy course load. In hindsight, anything to make pharmacy school easier would have been a plus.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could probably go either way. Normally, I would say no to placing out of a class that you are going to have to take the 2nd part to, since presumably part 1 at your school will be a direct set-up to part 2. However, given your level of biology/chemistry education, its seems unlikely that you would have any problems with catching up to part 2.

You could probably go either way. Normally, I would say no to placing out of a class that you are going to have to take the 2nd part to, since presumably part 1 at your school will be a direct set-up to part 2. However, given your level of biology/chemistry education, its seems unlikely that you would have any problems with catching up to part 2.

The school wouldn't allow students to place out of it if it really had any bearing on the second semester, and as the OP said he can review old recordings if needed.

4 years from now you won't be a lesser pharmacist because of it. Just place out.

Dude, place out of it if you can! I placed out of Biochem and Physio during my first year...everyone was stressing out about these classes/exams and I was sleeping in. These are not necessary for the pharm based content courses. Plus if you pass the exam, it shows you already know the material.