Q about Post-docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NiceDriveway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

A post-doc is required for licensure. Are you asking about doing a specific post-doc in a hospital to later go on to get a job in the same area?

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that grades in grad school are not very important.

Not sure why you are fixated on "good" grades in grad school ...

In reality, conventional "good" grades are pretty much mandatory in grad school as a "C" is considered failing in many programs.

Speaking of grades, are grad school grades still calculated to give you a GPA? Do internship sites and post-doc sites compare students on their grad school GPAs, or look go see how students did in specific courses? Or is it just assumed that if you are able to graduate you did fine in your courses, and grades aren't considered later at all?

I don't know how heavily grades are weighted for internship apps. However, the majority of internship sites I applied to required graduate transcripts, and about 2/3rds of those also required undergrad transcripts.

No one has asked me for a transcript or my GPA since graduating.

I'd guess it is to make sure there isn't anything too glaring (F/D/C in an important class the first time around) I'd be pretty surprised if a site looked for a 3.9, and cut all of the 3.8's.

-t

In my applications for postdocs - programs want to see what classes I took - by being in internship, they assume I passed. No one cares if you're straight A's or straight B's - it doesn't matter.