Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Q about school(s) and saturation

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by gochi, May 6, 2007.

1. gochi

Hey,

Can someone please provide a list of PRIVATE pharamcy schools ?

Also, what ideas do you guys have on the saturation of pharmacists ?

Lastly, does the admissions comitee look favourably upon applicants who are taking a full course load, 4 courses, vs and applicant who is not, < 4 courses?

Thanks-alot!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member

I can't give you the whole list on private pharmacy schools - have you checked the FAQs? Stay here long enough & someone is bound to give you that answer.

When I graduated (a lifetime or more ago for most of you), the market for pharmacists was saturated. What do you want to know about that time? I think it has occured to that same degree one other time since I've been licensed.

My experience with adcoms is they want to see how you do when you take the most challenging program you are able to take, given your circumstance. The point is to find out in some way how you would handle the courseload they give you.

Good luck!

4. gochi

Well, I think that alot of students are enrolling into pharm schools, so in about 4-5 yrs will their be a lower demand for pharmacists ? Will the salaries decline ?

I think anyone can do extraordinary in pharm school despite having a terrible undergrad education. The way I see it is that if you dont learn what you are suppose to in pharm school then you will not be able to do your job. Right know Im calculating the area between two lines, how will this be helpfull for pharm. I have no interest for this at all, though it is interesting and fun, yet I continue to do horrible. How can the adcoms even "weed out" applicants who have a low gpa, thats bs, seriously. Undergrad does not inform how well a student can do in pharm school, I think.

thx

5. gochi

But then again, I do understand a pharamcist provides medications, and if he/she cant excell in school then how are the adcoms suppose to know if the pharmacist can handle prescriptions.

6. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I didn't have the greatest of undergrad GPAs (3.4), so I hope that I'll be better in pharmacy school:)

However, pharmacy schools have to judge applicants based on something. PCAT is a rough reflection on your undergrad performance and you know that some people don't feel that is a reliable. LORs can be slanted and embellishments despite their usefulness. The interview can only tell so much about you and that's just your personality. Pharmacy experience doesn't necessarily equate to being a good pharmacist as some people get in and can skate by because of connections or having fewer responsibilities that even a 2.0 can do. Lastly, a college GPA may not reflect pharmacy school GPA much like how some people do well in high school but don't do as well in college.

Overall, all of the factors I've mentioned have their strengths and weaknesses. Also, there are positive correlations between those factors and pharmacy school success even if you can name exceptions. So, a pharmacy school really looks at everything. The PCAT and GPA seems to be the focus simply because they are the only factors that relate to your academic ability to succeed in a professional school.

Despite the differences between undergrad and professional school, professional school is essentially an extension of undergrad. Bombing undergrad isn't conducive to get people to believe that you'll do well in a more rigorous academic environment like pharmacy school.;) The content will be different, but its still academic like any other science course in undergrad

7. Jack555

8. themorphinerule

Pharmacist
    I think if anything the demand for retail pharmacists will decline: so take note those of you who attend schools that push retail. I read an article that spoke about the push towards mail order pharmacy (ie little perks like 3 months of drugs for 2 months copay) because most mail order pharmacies are automated and the need for X # of pharmacists in decreased having machines do most of the work and 1 or 2 pharmacists verify it. The wave of the future seems to be in clinical pharmacy. That seems to be the one thing that pharmacists can bank on: a computer can't talk to you and reassure you about your meds and conditions like a live fleshy individual can, and so until big business can replace humans with something d*mn near similar, clinical and consulting pharmacy will be ripe for the picking.. which is why I'm oober happy I'm going to Wingate U, because I think they prepare their students for the challenges of clinical and consulting pharmacy...