Q-bank correlations??? WTF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legion560

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most people like to correlate performance on q-bank to the real deal, but Ive been hearing some mixed up crazy stuff. People hitting 60-70s on Q come up with 230-240+ and some people who rock Q with 80s-90s get 210. Can someone explain the reasons?

I guess I am concerned with
1. Not psyching myself out with Q-bank, elevating hopes with high q-bank scores etc. OR not beating myself up for low q-bank scores.
2. Using Q-bank "correctly" to predict my score on the real thing (if that is possible)

Also have been hearing a lot of horror stories about good students bombing step 1. Not to set you guys off or anything, but thats the kind of stuff that gives me resting angina.

Thanks for the help.

Legion (reaching for the nitro)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really convinced qbank is the best predictor of performance.... I've heard a lot of people argue this both ways in my class, though.

Personally, I thought Step I qbank was right on the money in terms of difficulty. For Step II, I thought the qbank questions were too easy. I got almost exactly the same score on both tests, though.

What do other folks think?

the difficulty was pretty good for step 1 q-bank. i really dont know about correlation of scores, though...i was high 60's low 70's at the end, with scores on the NBME at the mean, and i wound up with a 192/78...very unpleasant surprise.

i think over 60 consistent on q-bank equals pass. but, your actual step 1 exam could be heavy on something you are weak in, or strong in, or whatever...so, don't expect anything. just do your best

neilc said:
the difficulty was pretty good for step 1 q-bank. i really dont know about correlation of scores, though...i was high 60's low 70's at the end, with scores on the NBME at the mean, and i wound up with a 192/78...very unpleasant surprise.

i think over 60 consistent on q-bank equals pass. but, your actual step 1 exam could be heavy on something you are weak in, or strong in, or whatever...so, don't expect anything. just do your best

I also felt that the distribution of questions on the actual exam was wierd.

qBank score was about 72%, step I score 246/99.

We did an informal poll in my class. Nearly all that were >65% on qBank scored >230 on Step I. Everyone in my class passed Step I and Step II, and the general census was that if you scored >55% you would pass. (Our lowest Step I was was a 200.)

That that for whatever it's worth.