Q bank repeats

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Halaljello, May 3, 2004.

1. Halaljello

Halaljello Hot Oil
    10+ Year Member

While this may sound like wishful thinking but.....

has anyone who has taken boards ever run into questions that seemed like they were straight from qbank or were extremely similar?

2. DRealDrZ

DRealDrZ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a friend that told me that there were some (5 or so) that were "very similar". So much so that he said they were the same question with minor changes. I don't know if this is always the case...it may be test dependent. I'm doing QBank because he highly suggested it. Hope this answers your question.

3. coop528

coop528 Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a problem with the fact that only 5 Qbank questions (out of over 2000) were considered very close to actual USMLE questions.

Please tell me that the same concepts are tested.

4. DRealDrZ

DRealDrZ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes...what I meant was that there were about 5 questions that were "exact" questions. Many of the same concepts are tested...I'm sorry...after I reread my post I thought it was poorly written.

5. Stinger86

Stinger86 Intern year? Ha!
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I purchased one month of Qbank, worked about 50 questions, and cancelled my purchase (getting a 90% refund, WOO HOO). My point is, I felt that most of the questions I worked were way too complicated, and very few questions seemed anywhere close to actual NBME/USMLE questions. The NBME subject exams, NBME assessment exams, and USMLE released items are your best bet.

Personally, I would just study for the Step 1 as though you've never heard of Kaplan or all these other review courses. Just my opinion though

6. coop528

coop528 Member
    7+ Year Member

I respect your comments on Qbank, but why do you think most people swear by it when it comes to doing questions?

7. DRealDrZ

DRealDrZ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Probably because they are more difficult and detailed questions. I think the point of people swearing by QBank is that it is practice doing questions and getting yourself ready for whats about to happen to you.

8. DRealDrZ

DRealDrZ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That reply didn't make sense. :confused: What I meant was that people swear by it because they are doing questions and practicing test taking. I'm not sure what I was thinking with that first sentence in my last post. Anyway, hope I didn't mess things up too much.

9. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have you taken the NBME Assessment or done the released items? They are some questions that are very similar to QBank. Also, what you get out of QBank is the explanations...that's its real strength. No explanations for the NBME stuff...although you do get explanations for the NBME stuff when you buy QBank.