Q bank strategies..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legion560

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im trying to figure out a good way to get through a large portion (maybe 85-90% ) of Q bank. Ive heard that some people would study something, wait 2-3 days and then do the respective questions. Others would do the questions immediately after studying. What has been working for your guys? And what works the best for retaining the info?

Legion

Members don't see this ad.

I did the questions in blocks of 25, every day or so, for about 2.5 months. I then went back and reviewed every question, with answers (right and wrong) once, and plan on doing it again before the exam. Questions are a primary study tool for me, and I think thet testing on a subject you just studied skews the results. I just randomly picked questions and found that my testing got considerably better as time went on.

I believe that the best way to use Qbank is to always do questions randomly, with no repeats, in 50 question blocks. Filtering by subject or system won't help you in the end when you're trying to practice as much as you can because you'll run out of questions in certain subjects before others.

When I was studying last year, I had more of a graded approach to the number of questions I did. I did questions on a regular basis all throughout, but definitely focused more on questions towards the end. At the beginning, I did 1 block every couple of days. By halfway, I was doing 1 block a day. By 3/4 of the way, it was at least 2 blocks everyday. By the last week of reviewing, I was only doing questions all day long. I got through all of Qbank and IV Qbank during my 7 week study schedule.

Don't rely too heavily on Qbank, though. While it is a great source of questions, it can focus you in the wrong directions.

Jaded Soul said:
Don't rely too heavily on Qbank, though. While it is a great source of questions, it can focus you in the wrong directions.

I agree. Trust your own study capabilities and don't rely on Kaplan to teach you the first two years of medical school through its questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to do Qbank questions when I'm bored with studying. It breaks up the day without wasting time. You definitely can't learn too much form QBank but it helps cement the things you already know. I like when I study for a couple hours, learn some new things, do a QBank block, and get 1 or 2 right that before I studied I would have no idea what the correct answer was. It gives me a bit of confidence that my studying is actually doing something. Also you get to gauge your progress a bit. I've done about 20% of QBank and have seen some improvement in scores. I plan to finish all of it in the next 3.5 weeks before my exam while stuyding 4-6 hours per day on top of the QBank and NBME released items.

I have been trying to wake up and start a 50 question block every morning and then read through all the question explainations, but it seems to take about 3 hours for a 50Q block, and needless to say, that leaves me in the middle of the day before I start studying. Any ideas out there on how to manage doing Qbank but not letting it consume too much time? cheers and good luck eveyone