Q bank vs. Goljan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footcloud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have limited time, I'm definitely going to memorize First Aid, definitely going through USMLE World, but probably only have time for one more resource.

What do you think about Goljan vs. Q bank (Kaplan)? Or a mix of both? I can read through Goljan once but I doubt I'll retain much. How long would it take to go through Q bank once? I imagine it's extensive. THanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends.

If you're scoring well on world, then you probably have the major concepts, so I'd say do more questions to get used to seeing things presented in a different way.

If you're not doing well, then you'll need to focus more on content and focusing more on FA and Goljan might help you more.

The amount of time to go through the q bank depends on how good your background is. The better you do, the less time you have to spend reviewing it and trying to figure out where your thought process went wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Goljan NEEDS to be an essential resource on the same level as First Aid. While First Aid presents a rough outline of the material, Goljan gives you substance to the facts.

I think you should do Goljan and UW and leave off Qbank.

Thanks for replying! I'm doing it in August, but I'll only have about 3 weeks undisturbed studying, although on/off studying since June. I guess I'll go through Goljan once at least then before tackling Q bank more.

Does Q Bank have more questions than USMLE World?

I don't know about UW but Qbank has a little more than 2100 questions total. If you get 3rd edition Goljan, it comes with >400 USMLE Consult questions exclusively on Path tailored to the book. It's a good way to check comprehension and get a little more practice in.

Just the Qbank only has a bit over 2000 questions. But what most people get these days is Qbank Plus, which is oddly often cheaper than Qbank(for us they were offering a year of Qbank plus for 300.) Qbank plus has over 4000 questions. There are a little over 2000 in the regular Qbank. Then there are like 1800 of the Integrated Vignette style questions that the USMLE now has a few of on their test. Then there's another 600 questions in a pure physio qbank. Then there's a diagnostic and a 336 question simulated exam. The Qbank also has a bunch(maybe like 50) audio/video style questions that the USMLE now has on the exam.

Is Goljan a good/helpful book for the clinical years? Or is it too basic-science oriented to be useful for anything but really Step I?

2000 Q's seems like a LOT of q's...I guess I'll just pick and choose from each section.

does it make sense to use Kaplan QBank to review questions while you are learning/reviewing subjects. for example, after finishing biochem to do 50 questons from Kaplan QBank on the first run through taus ~30 Days, finishing 1500Q

Then on the second run through use UWorld for the last 20 days with 100Q/Day? Completing both QBanks and reviewing 1st Aid 2-3X?

Any suggestions? everyone says not to do kaplan...i have not started world yet, but for learning the material is it that bad?