Q-bank vs. USMLEWorld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexPanther

This could be a problem
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen several comments on this forum that state USMLEWorld is superior to Q-bank for Step II purposes. Can anyone elaborate on why? I used Q-bank for Step I and loved it, so is there a compelling reason to switch for Step II?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Cheaper

2. More Questions

3. More detailed answers

4. Questions/cases that are very similar to some in the actual exam.

Go USMLEWORLD and don't look back!!

anyone else (because we know lesion of doom loves USMLEWORLD a ton-lol) vouch for USMLEWORLD vs Kaplan? Im almost tempted to start a poll just to see which one is preferred more or which people have had the greater success with...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to compare b/c I only used USMLE world, but I used Kaplan for Step 1 and felt like USMLE world was as good (maybe a touch better) for Step 2 than Kaplan was for Step 1. Just took Step 2 and felt very well prepared.

And its cheaper.

I studied the most from the question descriptions on USMLE world. More than books or review notes. My score went up 11 points. I don't know about Kaplan, but USMLE world is great.

I can only speak for Qbank.....It DOES NOT reflect the type of questions on Step 2. Qbank questions tend to be more SPECIFIC, while Step 2 questions are GENERAL..often VERY VERY GRENRAL.

I regret using Qbank-Kaplan, as my only question souce.....

And did I mention than the questions on Step 2 are VERY GENERAL.

Good Luck to everyone!

Question from a youngin- does USMLEworld work for step 1?
Would using Qbank and USMLEworld be a good idea? Or just stick w/one?

Leukocyte said:
I can only speak for Qbank.....It DOES NOT reflect the type of questions on Step 2. Qbank questions tend to be more SPECIFIC, while Step 2 questions are GENERAL..often VERY VERY GRENRAL.

I regret using Qbank-Kaplan, as my only question souce.....

And did I mention than the questions on Step 2 are VERY GENERAL.

Good Luck to everyone!

more general than shelf exams?

bulldog said:
more general than shelf exams?

Can't answer this question since I am not very familiar with the Clinical Science shelfs....but I can say that the "practice qiestions" on the NBME website, the ones you pay $45 for, are SIMILAR to the "real deal"....but still, the real step 2 is a different beast with more general and LONGER question stems (most of the time).

Good Luck!

sga814 said:
Question from a youngin- does USMLEworld work for step 1?
Would using Qbank and USMLEworld be a good idea? Or just stick w/one?

Can't speak for USMLEworld, since I was stupid enough to put ALL my trust in Kaplan Qbank....But if you can afford it, Kapaln Qbank questions are good ONLY for testing your knowledge base, and as a supplimental learning source.

Qbank for step 1 is much better than Qbank for step 2, as far as mimicking the real test.

Good Luck!

i did qbank for step one...sucked and usmleworld for step 2. i LOVE, LOVE LOVE usmleworld. the questions are reflective of the q's on the test, the explanations are excellent and has anyone mentioned CHEAPER, MORE QUESTIONS!!!!!!!! Go with USMLEWORLD

USMLEWORLD it is... I feel like Kaplan screwed me on step 1 anyway, why drink from that trough again...