• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Q Banks sequence

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Between "there" and "there"
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing Kaplan Q-Bank first/last? (After UWorld/before you world or after RX/before RX)? Thanks.

I'm using Rx and Kaplan together, and just started a bit of World. But I saved World for the end because I hear its the most valid.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Apr 24, 2006
    Tally/Willkillya County
    psu.facebook.com
    1. Medical Student
      I just got Kaplan yesterday. I've been doing Uworld all along. Really, I don't think it matters too much. If I had to absolutely choose which one to pick to do first, it'd be Kaplan now that I have it. Not because of validity, but the first aid references and what not make it much easier to review early on.

I plan on resetting my uworld and cranking through that for most of my independent study time. After 8+ months of having it, I have a difficult time believing that I will skew my answers too much because of knowing the question.

Really, it is all about doing as many questions as I can and seeing the explanations so many times that I'm sick of it...and then seeing them some more.

SCME500

Mar 11, 2011
      1. Medical Student
        I just got Kaplan yesterday. I've been doing Uworld all along. Really, I don't think it matters too much. If I had to absolutely choose which one to pick to do first, it'd be Kaplan now that I have it. Not because of validity, but the first aid references and what not make it much easier to review early on.

I plan on resetting my uworld and cranking through that for most of my independent study time. After 8+ months of having it, I have a difficult time believing that I will skew my answers too much because of knowing the question.

Really, it is all about doing as many questions as I can and seeing the explanations so many times that I'm sick of it...and then seeing them some more.

thanks.

it may sound kind of ******ed, but given the "validity" of the UW, assuming validity is used here as in biostatistics, what exactly is the flip side of doing it first? i guess i am trying to see what people on the forum have to say for and against using a high yield question bank such as UW right from the start as opposed to saving the best for last...???

what are the disadvantages of doing usmle world first?

About the Ads

Encephalectomy

PGY-0
        7+ Year Member
        Apr 14, 2010
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          thanks.

it may sound kind of ******ed, but given the "validity" of the UW, assuming validity is used here as in biostatistics, what exactly is the flip side of doing it first? i guess i am trying to see what people on the forum have to say for and against using a high yield question bank such as UW right from the start as opposed to saving the best for last...???

what are the disadvantages of doing usmle world first?

IMO the only big disadvantage to doing it first would be if you were using it early in second year. UW has higher percentage of q's that integrate things across a lot of different subjects, and I don't think you'd be able to take full advantage of it earlier in the year.

dude1344

10+ Year Member
          Jul 26, 2006
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            I'm around 65% done with Rx. I'm taking the test June 22nd and was wondering how long does it take to go through all the UWorld questions? I'm wondering if I have time to fit in Kaplan after Rx and before starting UWorld. I'll have just under 6 weeks of dedicated step time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.